Filezilla disconnects, cuteFTP doesn't; same router-why?

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

cucumu
500 Command not understood
First name: Craig
Last name: Umanoff

Filezilla disconnects, cuteFTP doesn't; same router-why?

#1 Post by cucumu » 2008-06-18 18:44

I've learned by reading, here, that Filezilla shouldn't be disconnecting (which it does to me regularly, after about 5 minutes), and that if it does its a router or server issue. But I've also got CuteFTP on a few of my machines on the same router, and that client will generally stay connected for hours.

Any ideas? Thanks much.. Craig Umanoff

khopek
504 Command not implemented

Re: Filezilla disconnects, cuteFTP doesn't; same router-why?

#2 Post by khopek » 2008-06-19 21:34

I'm curious as well as the old version of Filezilla I have DOES NOT have the disconnect issues. I think it's v2.2.29 that works fine, while the later versions have given me problems.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#3 Post by botg » 2008-06-19 21:57

FileZilla does not disconnect on its own. The server or some router or firewall disconnects you. This is not FileZilla's fault.

cucumu

#4 Post by cucumu » 2008-06-20 05:13

Well, botg, it sounds like you don't want it to be Filezilla's fault! 2 questions: how do you know? and how do you answer my initial question about Filezilla vs. CuteFTP on the same system?

cu

botg
Site Admin

#5 Post by botg » 2008-06-20 08:03

Because I have absolutely no problems staying connected for day or weeks to a proper server.

kmoth
First name: k
Last name: m

#6 Post by kmoth » 2008-06-20 16:57

@botg:

For what it's worth, I have the same problem as khopek and cucumu:

Filezilla 3.0.11 disconnects me after about 5 mins of inactivity. Yet CuteFTP on my PC and Transmit on my Mac (all on the same network) will remain connected for significantly longer (I can't say just how long because they've never prematurely disconnected me). I've tested this both on my network at home and at the office. Different networks setups different hosts, always the same problem.

Assuming you're a developer I'd expect that you would understand that simply because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. Its a shame that you're being stubbornly defensive about your software rather than asking questions about the problem scenario to narrow down the cause.

So keep denying that this problem exists, it sure seems to me that the only common denominator is Filezilla 3.0.11.

Won't complain too much about the software as it's free opensource and it works great for me despite this one issue.
However your attitude towards your users is unfortunate. I hope for the sake of this project that the other developers are more appreciative and accepting of all this free testing and feedback.

k.

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2008-06-20 17:17

Filezilla 3.0.11 disconnects me
WRONG

FileZilla does not disconnect you. The server, some router or some firewall disconnects you.
I hope for the sake of this project that the other developers are more appreciative and accepting of all this free testing and feedback.
There are no other developers. People always complain and never stop bitching around. But nobody is willing to get his hands dirty and actually help.

kmoth
First name: k
Last name: m

#8 Post by kmoth » 2008-06-20 18:46

I give up.

Writing such flawless software must afford you lots of free time. Maybe you ought to use some of it to join a Yoga class or some other form of stress relief. Looks like you could use an outlet.

Keep up the good work.

k.

khopek

#9 Post by khopek » 2008-06-20 19:19

kmoth wrote:@botg:

For what it's worth, I have the same problem as khopek and cucumu:

Filezilla 3.0.11 disconnects me after about 5 mins of inactivity. Yet CuteFTP on my PC and Transmit on my Mac (all on the same network) will remain connected for significantly longer (I can't say just how long because they've never prematurely disconnected me). I've tested this both on my network at home and at the office. Different networks setups different hosts, always the same problem.

Assuming you're a developer I'd expect that you would understand that simply because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. Its a shame that you're being stubbornly defensive about your software rather than asking questions about the problem scenario to narrow down the cause.

So keep denying that this problem exists, it sure seems to me that the only common denominator is Filezilla 3.0.11.

Won't complain too much about the software as it's free opensource and it works great for me despite this one issue.
However your attitude towards your users is unfortunate. I hope for the sake of this project that the other developers are more appreciative and accepting of all this free testing and feedback.

k.
Yeah...I felt a bit slighted knowing I came in here to find help to possibly resolve the problem and the only answer was it's not FileZilla's fault.

So WHAT exactly changed from v2.2.29 and v3.0.11 that v2.2.29 will STAY CONNECTED and v3.0.11 DISCONNECTS?

I don't understand how it could possibly be everyone else and their servers fault, when we're all having the same problem.

botg
Site Admin

#10 Post by botg » 2008-06-20 19:22

Guess I should spend more time in my ivory tower, happily coding away. Customer support makes me want to bash my head into the nearest wall.
I do not like to be accused to be wrong, I want to be proven to be wrong. One possible proof for a software problem is a patch.

cucumu

#11 Post by cucumu » 2008-06-20 19:28

I suggest a quick poll of readers of this thread. If you're on the current version of Filezilla (3.0.11) and you have another ftp client available on the same machine do you:

a) experience persistent connection with Filezilla.
b) experience automatic disconnect after a few minutes with Filezilla but no disconnect with alternate ftp program
c) experience automatic disconnect after a few minutes with both Filezilla and with your alternate ftp
program
d) experience something else (fill in the blank) ___________________________________________________________

please mention your OS and machine type

cu

botg
Site Admin

#12 Post by botg » 2008-06-20 19:28

khopek wrote:So WHAT exactly changed from v2.2.29 and v3.0.11 that v2.2.29 will STAY CONNECTED and v3.0.11 DISCONNECTS?
Do I have to start banning people? FILEZILLA DOES NOT FUCKING DISCONNECT YOU, THE SERVER, SOME ROUTER OR FIREWALL DISCONNECTS FILEZILLA.

"To disconnect" and "to get disconnected" are two entirely different things.
I don't understand how it could possibly be everyone else and their servers fault, when we're all having the same problem.
Lots of servers aren't configured properly. And firewalls NEVER are configured properly (only an uninstalled firewall is a properly configured firewall. Please don't make me explain this to you as you likely don't care anyhow).

cucumu

#13 Post by cucumu » 2008-06-20 19:36

botg, you're conveniently ignoring the bit about another client on the same system (incuding router and server) NOT disconnecting. How could that happen and it not be "Filezilla's fault?"

cu

khopek

#14 Post by khopek » 2008-06-20 19:38

botg wrote:
khopek wrote:So WHAT exactly changed from v2.2.29 and v3.0.11 that v2.2.29 will STAY CONNECTED and v3.0.11 DISCONNECTS?
Do I have to start banning people? FILEZILLA DOES NOT FUCKING DISCONNECT YOU, THE SERVER, SOME ROUTER OR FIREWALL DISCONNECTS FILEZILLA.

"To disconnect" and "to get disconnected" are two entirely different things.
Lots of servers aren't configured properly. And firewalls NEVER are configured properly (only an uninstalled firewall is a properly configured firewall. Please don't make me explain this to you as you likely don't care anyhow).
I don't believe I ever came in here bitching and assuming the program sucks. I came in for help...

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2008-06-20 19:51

you're conveniently ignoring the bit about another client on the same system (incuding router and server) NOT disconnecting. How could that happen and it not be "Filezilla's fault?"
Because FileZilla does not disconnect either, it merely gets disconnected.

Simple car analogy: There's a huge difference between stealing a car and getting your car stolen.

So get your facts straight.
I don't believe I ever came in here bitching and assuming the program sucks. I came in for help...
Then please believe my explanation that either the server or some router or firewall disconnects you. FileZilla 3.x does things the right way, it works just fine with proper servers.

The only difference with FileZilla 3 and other clients is the usage of keepalive commands, which are just bandwidth hogs, they are not needed on proper servers, routers and firewalls. Fix your servers, routers and firewalls, I will not waste any effort with broken third party components.