create an alias, step by step

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

grantpet
226 Transfer OK

create an alias, step by step

#1 Post by grantpet » 2008-07-26 20:13

Here we go:

-open the FileZilla Server Interface from your start--program files menu

-right click the new FileZilla Server Interface icon in your system tray

-select Restore

-in the FileZilla box that has just appeared, go to the Edit drop down menu at the top and open it

-select Users

-the users box will now pop up, highlight/select the user you want to add the alias for in the Users box on the right

-highlight/select the Shared folders from the Page box on the left

-here you should already have a home directory listed (indicated by the letter 'H' inside the Shared folders box, under the Directories column, just before a directory folder), if not:

*click the Add button below the Shared folders box

*direct the tree to the folder you want the client to see at the first level (all aliases will be seen as folders, listed before the contents of the home directory)

*highlight/select that folder

*click the OK button

this is an example for testing only!! (I put this caveat here because you will find numerous conflicting opinions on the use of software of this type and security issues involving this step)

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Videos

*hit the "Set as home dir" button--this step isn't required if it is the first entry

*you have created the home directory and it should be indicated with the letter 'H' inside the Shared folders box, under the Directories column, just before a directory folder; so the entry in the Shared folders box under the Directories column should be:

H C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Videos

#users already with a home directory pick up here:

-click the Add button below the Shared folders box

-direct the tree to a folder exactly like you did for the home directory, only you need to make sure you are NOT using the exact same folder or you will be making a redundancy error

this is an example for testing only!! (I put this caveat here because you will find numerous conflicting opinions on the use of software of this type and security issues involving this step)

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music

-this will create an entry into your Shared folders box, listed as:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Document\My Music

-right click the new entry

-select Edit aliases

-the Enter directory aliases box now appears

-inside the white space inside that box you want to duplicate the entry of your home directory precisely, after you have entered (provided you are using the example here):

'C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Videos' .....

...you need to add this: '\My Music' to the same line (without the ' character in either line)

if you are using the example folder, the entry in the box will be:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Videos\My Music

**many users report this is the appropriate entry, however, there may be a shortcut; instead of typing the entire directory folder location you can substitute the '/' forward slash for the entire line except for the last folder--this simply makes your entry '/My Music' if you are following the example

-click the OK button

Congratulations! You have just created an alias!

don't be surprised if stopping and starting the FileZilla Server software is required for changes to take effect^

^i think the client may need to be restarted in order to accept the change also

hope this helps clarify some things.

!! Apparently any folder on any drive can be used as a home directory or an alias with one exception:

1) I don't think it is possible to use a mapped network drive, either as a home directory or an alias <!! ATTN ADMIN !!, please insert appropriate forum link here>