Compare is showing green files when they should be the same

Need help with FileZilla Client? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

monodistortion
500 Command not understood
First name: Nick
Last name: Marshall

Compare is showing green files when they should be the same

#1 Post by monodistortion » 2008-12-31 11:32

Hi, I've been using FileZilla for a while and I just saw the new compare function but I'm not sure if it's working right for me. I'm trying to download a full site and keep it synchronized. I believe the server is running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise and I'm running Windows XP.

I downloaded most of the files but when I turn on the compare function a lot of files are green on the server side. They are all files that were uploaded between 9pm-12am and the date listed on the server is one day ahead. Here's a screenshot:

I have tried setting the server timezone offset to -3, 0, and +3 and the result is the same.

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

Re: Compare is showing green files when they should be the same

#2 Post by da chicken » 2008-12-31 13:12

FTP doesn't provide any method to ensure directories are 100% synchronized. You can choose to compare by date (be sure to enable preserve timestamps in the client), but this still has the problem that the remote server often only gives the date and no time (it depends on the server configuration). Alternately, you can choose to compare by file size, but because text files might be Unix format on one end and Windows format on the other, the size of text files is inconsistent. AFAIK, green means "these appear to match with available data but there's no way to tell for certain".

If it's for a business, I'd suggest you look into a server and client that support extensions for checksumming like XCRC, XMD5, or XSHA. If you demand something with some kind of certified HMAC, you'll have to pay through the nose for it. There aren't many FTP servers and clients with FIPS 140-2 certification, but it's about the best standard out there. GlobalScape's CuteFTP Pro and MFT might be it for choices currently.

If what you're pulling has HIPAA or other encryption and integrity mandates, you should look at AS2 and ebMS instead of FTP.

monodistortion
500 Command not understood
First name: Nick
Last name: Marshall

#3 Post by monodistortion » 2008-12-31 14:30

Ah, ok that makes sense. This isn't a fancy site. it's just for light use on a shared host. (I couldn't even get SFTP to work and didn't find any mention of it on their FAQ.) It will mostly just be me making periodic updates after I download the site.

My personal sites are on Dreamhost now (Debian Linux) and preserve timestamps works fine. Some of those file times are exactly an hour off, so that might be related to daylight saving?

This older site is on Readyhosting (Windows IIS) and it looks like preserve timestamps doesn't work at all. I have the servertype set to Default (Autodetect) so I'm not sure if a different servertype would help. This is what the message log looks like.
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Readyhosting FTP Server ready
Command: USER username
Response: 331 Password required for username
Command: PASS ********************
Response: 230 User username logged in
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2008-12-31 20:23

The server has to support the MFMT command for 'Preserve Timestamps' on upload to work.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org