#1 Post by noiscale » 2021-02-05 11:07

Seriously, where is the dark theme ??
For the SOFTWARES .... :oops:
and the forum !!!! :roll:

FionNoir
500 Command not understood
First name: Fion
Last name: Noir

Re: Seriously, where is the dark theme ??

#2 Post by FionNoir » 2021-07-19 13:38

It seems like Filezilla developers think that beautiful UIs are an unnecessary detail. So I do not think that this will happen soon.

gwmbox
500 Syntax error
First name: Greg

#3 Post by gwmbox » 2021-10-11 08:27

Which is such a theme, I think all of my current apps on my Windows 10 desktop all have a dark theme option that is NOT tied to Windows settings. They are built into the app with options to choose the light or dark theme, some of which will give additional options. I'd be happy with just a simple light or dark option.

To the developers, is there a specific reason why this cannot be made within Filezilla? It would appear this has been asked for some 5 + years now.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-10-11 08:41

The colors to use come from the operating system. Blame Microsoft for removing color settings from their settings app.

iam_sysop
504 Command not implemented

#5 Post by iam_sysop » 2021-10-11 15:52

I have written "dark mode" detection for Windows API via c# -- based on a model found for C. Windows new color scheme is nothing more than grayscale - with the curve "reversed" when changing from light to dark mode, and uses a single "highlight" color for anything of note. As you noted, the rest of the color choice was removed from Windows itself. I used a default "light" palette and default "dark" palette and hard-coded the retrieval from the Win API since Windows doesn't use anything more complicated at this point.

I don't know if any of this helps on the technical side, but I can point direction in origin C code I used for detection if interested. I don't have C/C++ background so I can't contribute directly to FileZilla source but will help anywhere I can be useful.

In the case of FileZilla, I understand that because it uses wxWidgets for many things - dark mode would have to be incorporated in to the resources pulled in for a theme and so on. It's not just "inverting the colorspace" as so many people think - that is for sure. You run into many complications with icons, lists, and so much more.