The one missing feature, IMHO

Moderator: Project members

danceparty

The one missing feature, IMHO

#1 Post by danceparty » 2009-07-27 14:42

When you are editing a file, FileZilla always asks before uploading it. If there was a way to make this automatic (without prompting, uploading the file whenever it changes) then I could FINALLY stop using winSCP.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: The one missing feature, IMHO

#2 Post by botg » 2009-07-27 17:24

No, it would lead to file corruptions. Programs not asking for confirmation gamble with your files' contents.

ScubaMan7
500 Command not understood
First name: Rick
Last name: E

#3 Post by ScubaMan7 » 2009-10-16 14:51

botg wrote:No, it would lead to file corruptions. Programs not asking for confirmation gamble with your files' contents.
Why? Is FileZilla defective in some way?

I ask, because when I use SmartFTP, the file is automatically uploaded after I make modifications without requesting confirmation.

You may wish to look into making this available for those of us who risk "gambling with our files". I like to live on the edge.

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2009-10-16 15:11

I ask, because when I use SmartFTP, the file is automatically uploaded after I make modifications without requesting confirmation.
SmartFTP gambles with your data.

ScubaMan7

#5 Post by ScubaMan7 » 2009-10-18 13:48

botg wrote:
SmartFTP gambles with your data.
How? Please explain directly rather than simply accusing. I've never had a problem with SmartFTP.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2009-10-18 14:35

Because it is programmatically impossible to detect when it is safe to upload a file opened for editing.

ScubaMan7

#7 Post by ScubaMan7 » 2009-10-18 23:23

botg wrote:Because it is programmatically impossible to detect when it is safe to upload a file opened for editing.
OK. Then provide the functionality and let me decide to take whatever risk there might be.

What is the real issue here? Is it that the development team does not know what needs to be changed in the code to permit this? Or, is the team unwilling to modify the code for the functionality that is available in other FTP programs?

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2009-10-19 02:38

development team
What development team?

Gambling with data doesn't meet botg's standards I guess. This is an FTP client and not a slot machine.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

mapsedge
504 Command not implemented
First name: Bill
Last name: Morris

#9 Post by mapsedge » 2010-01-20 15:52

ScubaMan7 wrote:
botg wrote:Because it is programmatically impossible to detect when it is safe to upload a file opened for editing.
OK. Then provide the functionality and let me decide to take whatever risk there might be.

What is the real issue here? Is it that the development team does not know what needs to be changed in the code to permit this? Or, is the team unwilling to modify the code for the functionality that is available in other FTP programs?
This is a huge annoyance in FileZilla.

Having to confirm the upload of a changed file is an inconvenience that breaks my rhythm and slows me down. In HomeSite, or using FTP Folders in NotePad++, or PsPad, the file is uploaded as soon as I save it. How is FileZilla any different from that?

I understand your concern, botg. Yes, file corruption is an issue if you save too often and too fast and your FTP server still has an open handle on the first upload when subsequent uploads start. I get that, and it's a risk I'm willing to take - also a risk I can deal with as I have access to my server.

Having a checkbox for "Upload the file and don't ask again" on the confirmation box is a perfectly reasonable request. If it really bugs you, add a check to the queue that doesn't allow a file into any given queue more than once -- and toss up yet another confirmation box with a "Just a second, there, hoss..." message.

Scubaman7, for a couple of workarounds: FireFTP for Firefox uploads changes, no questions asked. It's a little resource heavy as Firefox continues to bloat - and especially if you have webmaster tools and Firebug installed - but it works.

Or, on Windows at least, you can install a tool like ClickOff to automatically click the OK button on the confirmation dialog - that's how I use it on my machine, and it works a treat whether FileZilla has the focus or not.

Jeroi
500 Syntax error

#10 Post by Jeroi » 2010-01-20 20:12

I like the quostions. It makes me always double check if everything is ok before sending to ftp.

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2010-01-20 23:21

I'm fully aware of the fact that it can be annoying, yet at the same time it is the only safe way. If there'd be any risk-free alternative, I'd implement it immediately.

eyebex
226 Transfer OK

#12 Post by eyebex » 2010-01-21 11:08

At least under Windows, couldn't the Volume Shadow Copy Service be used?

botg
Site Admin

#13 Post by botg » 2010-01-21 19:26

Unfortunately no, it's also impossible to detect whether some other program has finished writing or if it's still going to write further data.