Feature request for server - One time access URLs

Moderator: Project members

cat101
500 Command not understood

Feature request for server - One time access URLs

#1 Post by cat101 » 2005-09-07 13:37

Hi all. I just wanted to share an idea with you. I generally use filezilla server to share files with friends (basically as a WAN version of windows's CIFS). In general I create a url like ftp://user:password@mymachine.org:8080/ and send it through ICQ so that my friend can click and immediately access the files (I assume windows on the other side).

Although this is the simplest method I have found to share files (with no extra client software needed), it takes time to create an account and to configure the right permissions for every time I do it (I don't do it often enough to have permanents accounts)

I was thinking that filezilla could provide an explorer extension such that when I right click on a file or directory I see something like "Create a limited time access URL for this file". After clicking, a url like "ftp://AB123EF:EFAD23@mymachine.org:8080/" would be pasted on the clipboard so that I can send it to my friend.

What do you think about it?

cat101

PS: If you wonder why I don't use MS messenger for this kind of exchanges, the answer is because it not always work (firewalls). Also it does no allow me to share directories