[feature request] Unlimited or Very High Timeout Detection

Moderator: Project members

JAnderson13
500 Command not understood

[feature request] Unlimited or Very High Timeout Detection

#1 Post by JAnderson13 » 2005-10-25 15:42

First, I just want to say thanks for the great software!

We have noticed issues with the Timeout Detection option, an ftp proxy, and ftp virus scanning. The issue stems from the fact that the proxy does not trickle data to the client, but rather gives it 150 responses with status of the download/scan. Once the entire file is downloaded, it is scanned, and then passed through to the client. So... the Timeout Detection believes that since no data has been passed to it after X seconds it should restart. I tried setting the value to 999, but that doesn't work well on slow sites. An unlimited option or extremly high option would be great (99999 would probably sufice - just over 1 day).

Thanks for the consideration!

Jeff

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2005-10-25 18:12

That's an extremely bad virus scanner. Just start a transfer from a manipulated server which sends endless random data. I'm pretty sure the proxy will crash when it runs out of ram.

I'll take an infinite timeout value into consideration for FileZilla 3.

JAnderson13
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by JAnderson13 » 2005-11-01 18:15

Actually the proxies have threshholds which prevent resource exhaustion (as do the AV engines). So... your scenario is unlikely (though possible as I have not actually tried it specifically). Anyway, assuming the proxies are fine, my problem comes more from the fact that when a user downloads a 10MB file @ 3K/sec, that takes ~1 hour. Like I said, a larger timeout would be great - let the user choose their own timeout great than ~16min.

Thanks for the consideration.