Feature Request: Pin Sites to Windows 7 Taskbar

Moderator: Project members

Lishtenbird
500 Command not understood

Feature Request: Pin Sites to Windows 7 Taskbar

#1 Post by Lishtenbird » 2010-08-12 19:19

As you know, in Windows 7 one can pin a program to the taskbar and use its additional features like pinning files (1) and viewing recent and frequent files (2). This speeds up your work a lot when you deal with a lot of files. Filezilla taskbar icon could accept sites from sitemanager, and in this case would look somehow like this:

I've come up with a simple solution to part (1), while part (2) would be more complicated and require some kind of logging or whatever it's called... So.

(1) Windows lets pin files to a program only if the file association is registered to the relevant program. However, FileZilla doesn't have such files, but it supports passing command line parameters with site names like that: -c "0/SiteNameInSiteManager" So a possible and simple solution looks like this: create a text file called PrettySiteName.txt, add 0/SiteNameInSiteManager inside it, rename to e.g. PrettySiteName.fzsite, and as long as .fzsite is registered ("always opened with") to FileZilla, you can pin it and open it with FileZilla! Voila! The only thing missing for the moment is the ability of FileZilla to accept .fzsite (or any other extension) as a -c "filecontents" command line parameter. If i try to open a registered (in that way) file with FileZilla, it would complain on the invalid port regardless of the filename or file contents.

Anyway, thanks for attention and thank you for the wonderful program:)

paskalip
500 Command not understood

Re: Feature Request: Pin Sites to Windows 7 Taskbar

#2 Post by paskalip » 2014-01-14 06:42

Although this topic is quite old, and since I couldn't find a solution anywhere, I though I'd post the one I came up with.
It makes use of the command line and I have no idea if it could be done easier or even if it's 100% bug free. It seems to
work ok. Anyhow, here it goes:

Including some steps from the original post:
  • Open notepad
  • In the first line write the full path of the program (with double quotes), including the command line arguments for the site that you want to run
    eg

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla FTP Client\filezilla.exe" -c "0/SiteNameInSiteManager"
  • Save as a .fzsite file (instead of PrettySiteName.txt) and make sure that the encoding is set to ANSI
  • Open the file and associate the extension with filezilla. It should run filezilla but report the "invalid port" error
  • Run regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\fzsite_auto_file\shell\open\command\
  • Edit the (default) string and replace the value with this:

Code: Select all

"/System32/cmd.exe"/c "for /f "delims=" %%i in (%1) do %%i"
    After that, by executing the file, it should start filezilla and connect to the desired site.
  • Create a folder in C: (like C:\fzsites), where you are going to store the .fzsite files and then drag them on the filezilla icon to pin them.
This should do it. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears :mrgreen:[/i]
This wasn't working after all...
But then I found this little program:
https://code.google.com/p/jumplist-extender/

Install it and just add the command line with the argument as a Task/Run command line program.