Custom Build FZS 0.9.41 (RNFR/RNTO)

Moderator: Project members

fzwph
500 Command not understood

Custom Build FZS 0.9.41 (RNFR/RNTO)

#1 Post by fzwph » 2012-10-23 06:54

Would anyone know of the feasibility of moving the RNFR and RNTO ftp commands from the current Delete permission to the Write permission in source and then recompiling a custom build? The goal is to allow renaming files and folders on the server side without allowing delete operations and without harming the stability and performance of the server application.
I've worked in some scripting languages but never in a full coding/compiling environment; as such, I cannot tell if this is a simple request or not and I am wary of trying it myself.

I've already submitted a feature request for an separate permission for Rename separate from Delete, but with the focus on FileZilla Client, I don't expect this to be a priority.
After reading various posts on the forum I believe that the general thought is that the current permissions behavior is the correct behavior, as such, I don't think this would be considered a bug.
I am aware that this would break expected behavior of the server, so I don't think moving the commands from one permission to another would likely be considered for an official change request.
Without starting a debate on where RNFR/RNTO belongs in the context of Read, Write, and Delete permissions; I can think of reasonable arguments for it to belong with either Write or Delete. I just happen to need it to belong to the Write permission instead of the Delete permission.

If I'm unclear, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice.