Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Elements of FileZilla's user interface

#16 Post by botg » 2013-01-07 20:39

Various additional messages for the dialog titled "filter validation failed":
- Each filter needs at least one condition.
- At least one filter condition is incomplete
- Invalid size in condition
- Please enter a date of the form YYYY-MM-DD such as for example 2010-07-18

When trying to select a filter that is only valid for local files. Can iirc only happen under Windows filtering for Windows file attributes:
Title: Cannot select filter
Icon: Information

alexkovac
503 Bad sequence of commands
First name: Aleksandar
Last name: Kovac

#17 Post by alexkovac » 2013-01-08 01:06

Alright, thanks a lot!
The missing dialog boxes will be added.

I have one and a half general questions considering filter creation and management (pardon my dodgy terminology):
- Are filter conditions and other filter variables (name, options) validated constantly or are they validated only when user clicks on OK?
- If not, could they be?
If they are or they could be, we could use a more straightforward approach to informing user about validity of their filter conditions, instead of dialog boxes. This would reduce the number of dialog boxes and streamline the interaction flow a little, I believe. I will try to include a sketch of this approach, soon.

botg
Site Admin

#18 Post by botg » 2013-01-08 07:11

They are being validated with feedback when clicking OK. Filters are validated silently when starting the program, with invalid filters simply removed.

alexkovac

#19 Post by alexkovac » 2013-01-11 05:43

Again, thanks botg for answers.

Updated view filters interaction flow map. Added "filter validation failed" dialog boxes:
- Invalid size in condition
- Malformed date
- At least one filter condition is incomplete

also, filter set messages:
- Cannot set filter (Win, when using "attribute" condition)
- Cannot set filter (Mac, when using "permission" condition)
- "<custom filter set> cannot be renamed" - Honestly, I don't have a clue how I managed to that one! I am not able to repeat it.

Note:
Wasn't able to find "Each filter needs at least one condition" error dialog box. In FileZilla version history, stands this: "3.0.6-rc1 (2008-01-24) Do not allow empty names for filters and filter sets". Does that mean this dialog box is not encountered anymore?
Attachments
&quot;View filters&quot; interaction flow map (thumbnail)
"View filters" interaction flow map (thumbnail)
fz-file-filters-map-2.png (53.93 KiB) Viewed 7550 times
fz-file filters map-2.pdf
"View filters" interaction flow map (full size)
(494.53 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

botg
Site Admin

#20 Post by botg » 2013-01-11 07:13

- "<custom filter set> cannot be renamed" - Honestly, I don't have a clue how I managed to that one! I am not able to repeat it.

Note:
Wasn't able to find "Each filter needs at least one condition" error dialog box. In FileZilla version history, stands this: "3.0.6-rc1 (2008-01-24) Do not allow empty names for filters and filter sets". Does that mean this dialog box is not encountered anymore?
Both should not appear, yet under special circumstances they still do.

alexkovac

#21 Post by alexkovac » 2013-01-31 12:34

A tiny update to filtering interaction flow map. A dialog box informing the user that the filter name is taken was added in the lower right section of the map.
Attachments
interaction map thumbnail
interaction map thumbnail
fz-file-filters-map-3.png (22.58 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
fz-file filters map-3.pdf
Full size interaction map
(511.5 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

botg
Site Admin

#22 Post by botg » 2014-03-03 11:17

I'm currently implementing a new update dialog based on your suggestions. I've further streamlined the workflow, making it even simpler to use the update mechanism:
update.png
update.png (34.76 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
If all goes well, this is the only thing the user will see. The dialog pops up when there's a new version. With just two clicks the update is being installed: The click on Install followed by Windows' UAC prompt. After that, FileZilla closes, the installer runs and FileZilla starts up again, fully automated. Downloading the update happens in the background as well, the user will only see the popup after update has been downloaded.

boco
Contributor

#23 Post by boco » 2014-03-03 18:57

I hope there's a solution to the problem that FileZilla run from the installer starts up with elevated rights! There must be a way to remove the highest permissions flag again.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#24 Post by botg » 2014-03-03 20:06

boco wrote:I hope there's a solution to the problem that FileZilla run from the installer starts up with elevated rights! There must be a way to remove the highest permissions flag again.
Actually the installer has a manifest requesting as-invoker. The first thing the installer does when starting is to start itself again requesting elevation. At the end of installation, the inner, elevated instance instructs the outer instance to start FileZilla.

This is why for example the installer continues even if you decline the UAC prompt (or lack permissions for that) so that you can still install FileZilla into your profile.

All made possible using http://nsis.sourceforge.net/UAC_plug-in

JanRei
550 Permission denied

#25 Post by JanRei » 2014-03-18 03:56

I am using FileZilla 3.8.0-beta2 on Windows 8.1 (64bit).

Regarding the redesigned update mechanism I would like to report two things where I am not sure whether they are actually bugs.

1) If I change the setting "When checking for updates search for", but do not save it, then this is not honored when I click on "Run update check now". This might not be what the user expects. He needs to save the settings first before running an update check.

2) Assume that I chose to search for nightlies, then FileZilla will find a new version. It will show "New version available!" in the menu. If I now change the settings not to search for nightlies, the menu item will stay until I restart FileZilla. Special case: if I remove the downloaded installer and then click on the menu item, FileZilla searches for updates and says I have the latest version.

botg
Site Admin

#26 Post by botg » 2014-03-22 14:08

Thanks for spotting these inconsistencies. Will be fixed.