Suggestions: NOOP + time in Message_Log, translation of Help

Moderator: Project members

andré
500 Command not understood

Suggestions: NOOP + time in Message_Log, translation of Help

#1 Post by andré » 2004-06-30 05:11

1) In Message_Log, why not send NOOP to maintain the connexion, instead of commands which could possible change some setting? NOOP is designed for that. So the function of all messages sent would be clear.

2) Also in Message_Log, it would be very nice to have the time-of-day (and possibly the date) before each entry. :)
e.g. :arrow: (13:45) NOOP

3) Also in Message_Log, only the last message shows, at the top of the window. :( (Most of the time it is the last response from the server.) It would be more useful to see all the messages possible, only scrolling up the messages to make room for a new message at the bottom.

4) Translation of Help would be VERY nice :D
With a little orientation, I could do the translation to French.
(I already have poEdit, if that would be useful.)

5) My Help (in English) doesn't show any images. All the files for Filezilla are in the same directory, and the configuration is in the XML file.
The os is mswin98se, and this problem doesn't occur with other help files.
Any idea as to the cause? (General bug or configuration?)

Just a few suggestions to improve an already great product.
-André

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Suggestions: NOOP + time in Message_Log, translation of

#2 Post by botg » 2004-06-30 21:04

andré wrote:1) In Message_Log, why not send NOOP to maintain the connexion, instead of commands which could possible change some setting? NOOP is designed for that. So the function of all messages sent would be clear.
It's save to use the other commands. FZ explicitly set all required settings before each transfer. Also, there are some servers which kick users once they send NOOP :cry:
2) Also in Message_Log, it would be very nice to have the time-of-day (and possibly the date) before each entry. :)
e.g. :arrow: (13:45) NOOP
Good idea, I may implement it in FZ3
3) Also in Message_Log, only the last message shows, at the top of the window. :( (Most of the time it is the last response from the server.) It would be more useful to see all the messages possible, only scrolling up the messages to make room for a new message at the bottom.
Upgrade Windows to newer version, or at least install the latest rich edit control: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/misc/riched30.exe
4) Translation of Help would be VERY nice :D
With a little orientation, I could do the translation to French.
(I already have poEdit, if that would be useful.)
French translation of help is already availabe, see component page in settings dialog.
5) My Help (in English) doesn't show any images. All the files for Filezilla are in the same directory, and the configuration is in the XML file.
The os is mswin98se, and this problem doesn't occur with other help files.
Any idea as to the cause? (General bug or configuration?)
Upgrade Windows, Win98 is all but secure/stable

andré

translation of Help

#3 Post by andré » 2004-07-02 18:11

Thanks for the quick response.
I installed the riched file you suggested (older date but newer version), and it solved the problem displaying messages. :D

About the Help, I couldn't find a 'components page'. The only setting I find for language (I scanned all of the edit/settings options) only changes the language of the interface (which is appreciated), but not the help file. Additionally, there is a DLL for each interface language, but only one help file (in English).

As for the images in the help file not displaying, almost all other *.chm help files on my system display their images. In fact, of the hundred or so such files on my system, I found only one other with the problem - the only other to have embedded .png images.
My system doesn't have internet explorer installed (the source of so many problems), just a few basic html functions from msie. Would you happen to know of / have the file(s) used to render .png images?
(My system associates .png with another program by default, as well Mozilla displays such images for html pages.)
Thanks again :)
André

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2004-07-02 22:35

With components page I mean the components page appearing during setup of FileZilla.

andré

Translated help

#5 Post by andré » 2004-07-05 15:44

Hi
I downloaded the .zip file (Filezilla_2_2_7a.zip)
There seems to be only the english help file, and no apparent setup pgm.
(I just unzipped it to my program directory.)
Should I have downloaded another file to get the translated help?
Or installed it differently?

thanks
-André

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2004-07-05 17:57

Use setup, not zip

andré

Help translated

#7 Post by andré » 2004-07-06 05:35

Thank you :D :D :D
Just a little suggestion:
Usually an installation uses only one localisation.
There are 13 languages (in addition to English) (in the version 2_2_7a)
which is over 1 M additional size in the download for localising the interface, without counting the extra help file to be downloaded.

My suggestion:
Put the localizations in a separate file for each language, on the download page.
If a user wants a language in another language than English, they download 2 files - the pgms + their language.
If both files are present during install, they can select their language and it is all done in one step - allowing installation / reinstallation without being connected to the internet.
As well, the download size is smaller - even with localisation of 1 language.

This also allows using a zip download with localization.
The nice thing about the zip format, is that the user can put all the files into a single zip file (using open src zip utilities), including installation comments (an empty file as a comment).
Installation is simply unzipping, creating desired shortcuts, and configuring (selecting language, etc). Just as easy as installing with an exe file.
(Many programs even install shortcuts from the internal configuration routines.)

Again, thanks for the fr help file :)

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2004-07-06 13:42

Do you know how much work it is to release files? Separating the files even more than now is no option.

andré

#9 Post by andré » 2004-07-06 22:10

Sorry :?
Wasn't thinking of it from your side. Your approach does minimize the download file count.
The present config works well; at worst one has temporarily the help in English. Actually, I saved the TEMP files downloaded to create the French help, so if I need to reinstall I have them locally. I was just thinking of the average user who wouldn't know to do this.
(A possibility is putting these temporary files in a folder in the same location as the installation file, which is what I did manually. -- I know, more work :cry: -- just some suggestions from an obsessed programmer)
I really appreciate FileZilla, thanks for everything :D