Suggestion

Moderator: Project members

analyzes
500 Command not understood

Suggestion

#1 Post by analyzes » 2013-06-21 19:37

View/Edit file - should never be together. its the single most thing we dislike here (design center)

Suggestion:

Separate them, a user should have the option of either viewing or editing without jumping through hoops

Also one should be able to right click and choose to "Edit with" - allowing the user the choice of options to edit with

IE: such as if I want to open an .html in notepad one time, and wordpad the next it should be a simple choice of clicking one or the other

All the other FTP programs have this feature - and its the single most reason why we keep falling back on smartFTP instead of using Fillzilla the majority of the time. Fillzilla is useful for uploading larger amounts of files - but we use smartFTP to edit with.

Also, it should save when you click save - NOT wait until you close the file - then it asks if you want to upload the file. When you click the "save" icon in wordpad - it should save the edited file then - not have to close it and reopen to make another change.

These are the single most issues we (24 of us here) have with filezilla. Maybe some real world input from a full time design center will help for future considerations.

boco
Contributor

Re: Suggestion

#2 Post by boco » 2013-06-22 22:39

View/Edit file - should never be together. its the single most thing we dislike here (design center)

Suggestion:

Separate them, a user should have the option of either viewing or editing without jumping through hoops
There's no functional difference between View and Edit. In fact, it just opens the file with the associated software and tracks for possible changes, while Open does not track.
Also one should be able to right click and choose to "Edit with" - allowing the user the choice of options to edit with

IE: such as if I want to open an .html in notepad one time, and wordpad the next it should be a simple choice of clicking one or the other
AFAIK there's a limitation in the components used by FileZilla, it can only use the Open action.
and its the single most reason why we keep falling back on smartFTP instead of using Fillzilla the majority of the time.
AFAIK SmartFTP is Windows-only and can be coded in a specialized way. FileZilla code has to work in Win, Linux and MacOSX.
Also, it should save when you click save - NOT wait until you close the file - then it asks if you want to upload the file. When you click the "save" icon in wordpad - it should save the edited file then
It should already ask as soon as it detects a change in the local copy. Unless, of course, the editor holds the file open/locked exclusively, then FileZilla cannot do anything.

I'm sure the developer will be able to give definite explanations.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

analyzes
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by analyzes » 2013-06-27 17:12

There's no functional difference between View and Edit. In fact, it just opens the file with the associated software and tracks for possible changes, while Open does not track
- from a design standpoint that statement makes no sense at all. Do you want to Open a index.html with say - Google Chrome every single time? - um NO .. not if you're EDITING it. you want to open it in your EDITOR, then later VIEW it to verify the changes etc.

If your default action when you click on index.html etc is to open in a browser - and filezilla by default only follows suit - you can never edit the file - which defeats the entire purpose of even needing filezilla in the first place, of if you change it to open in the editor - then you can't view it - Hence why we DO NOT USE FILEZILLA IN A PROFESSIONAL DESIGN CENTER except to UPLOAD (its great for uploading large amounts of files - such as a large php script)

Simply put the VIEW and EDIT should NEVER be Either/OR - it should be SEPARATE.
Just some constructive criticism, and maybe some input for future references.
Because as/is - its unusable professionally. if you want to take the extra time to re-set it every time, or jump back and forth its fine i'm sure, and i'm sure its quite good for amature use (considering its free it IS great for them) But not when time is money.
AFAIK there's a limitation in the components used by FileZilla, it can only use the Open action
I'm not quite sure i'm understanding the reasoning for being unable to give an Right click "open with" option. C++ is not difficult to add the option (if needed i'll supply the source)

Anywho, Please understand i'm not bashing at all - it IS a great FTP program. It just needs a few tweaks to be functional and fast in a setting that requires modifying files while the website is already up for customers (some of which are viewing the changes as they happen in real time - to give input to the designer)

:)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2013-06-28 06:20

analyzes wrote:
AFAIK there's a limitation in the components used by FileZilla, it can only use the Open action
I'm not quite sure i'm understanding the reasoning for being unable to give an Right click "open with" option. C++ is not difficult to add the option (if needed i'll supply the source)
Thanks, a patch would be great. Make sure it works on Linux, OS X and Windows.