Minor Bug: secure mode activates through Quick Connect

Moderator: Project members

Keneto
500 Command not understood

Minor Bug: secure mode activates through Quick Connect

#1 Post by Keneto » 2014-06-11 19:57

I've used Filezilla for years and I'm generally very impressed, but recently I ran into this problem.

I hit a site through quick connect because I didn't want to save it in Site Manager. I knew I'd never be returning to that site and would only end up having to delete it. Quick Connect prompted me to save the password and I hit "no", so Filezilla went in Site Manager and deleted all my saved passwords from everything.

(Background)
I work in multiple client sites, and I frequently get tasks where I'm physically at one site and need to access another remotely. This clearing of stored passwords shut me down for the day and was quite inconvenient.

Also, I realize there's a long debate going on here about security vs storing passwords locally, but the risk is within acceptable parameters

Not seeking a reply to this... just something to consider

boco
Contributor

Re: Minor Bug: secure mode activates through Quick Connect

#2 Post by boco » 2014-06-11 22:35

botg should strip the QuickConnect and Reconnect last server features of any ability to retain passwords over sessions.
1. QuickConnect would not be used as SiteManager replacement. Hint: It isn't.
2. Nobody could complain that FileZilla retained a password for a site used one time. Guests could use QuickConnect without having to ask the host to clear Private data after the session. Nobody could simply hit Reconnect and access what (s)he shouldn't.
3. The password question would be displayed at the first Site Manager call, and everyone will know what it is for.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Minor Bug: secure mode activates through Quick Connect

#3 Post by botg » 2014-06-12 06:15

Nobody could complain that FileZilla retained a password for a site used one time. Guests could use QuickConnect without having to ask the host to clear Private data after the session. Nobody could simply hit Reconnect and access what (s)he shouldn't.
There's a reason modern operating systems can have multiple user accounts. Some even provide pre-configured guest logins.