SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable

Moderator: Project members

webid4me
500 Command not understood

SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable

#1 Post by webid4me » 2014-06-29 22:44

Hi Devs,
You may want to check this thread http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3146. There seems to be a bug in Filezilla with the setup described in the post. Thanks.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable

#2 Post by botg » 2014-06-30 07:24

SFTP support in FileZilla is based on PuTTY's psftp. Do you also experience this issue using PuTTY or psftp?

webid4me

#3 Post by webid4me » 2014-07-09 18:04

botg wrote:SFTP support in FileZilla is based on PuTTY's psftp. Do you also experience this issue using PuTTY or psftp?
I am not entirely sure how to reproduce the experience using putty or psftp. However I tried few things: First, I installed putty, putty-tools and pterm. Then I opened pterm from menu and tried using psftp and plink as shown below. Both of these required me to input the password manually i.e. it did not use SSH-agent for key based login. Next, I tried using the PuTTY gui for connecting to the server using SSH. It also did not use the SSH-agent keys and prompted me to enter the password for the login.

Code: Select all

$ psftp user@server.xxx.edu

$ plink user@server.xxx.edu
I also tried using regular ssh command from pterm in two different ways and it showed different behaviour. When I used the more traditional method ssh user@server.xxx.edu then I was prompted to enter the passwords manually (i.e. it did not use ssh-agent). However, when I used ssh serverName then the SSH-keys were used. The serverName is defined in my ~/.ssh/config which is shown below. Note that both of these methods use SSH-keys when used in regular gnome-terminal (or mate-terminal).

Host serverName
  HostName server.xxx.com
  User user
  IdentityFile ~/.ssh/myPrivateKey_rsa

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2014-07-10 07:12

PuTTY does not read ~/.shh/

Furthermore, there does not appear to be a working SSH agent running on your system with your key loaded.

Two possible solutions:
- Make sure an agent is running with your key loaded
- Select the private key file to authenticate with in the settings dialog of FileZilla.

webid4me

#5 Post by webid4me » 2014-07-10 18:50

botg wrote:Furthermore, there does not appear to be a working SSH agent running on your system with your key loaded.
I am entirely sure that I have a SSH agent working and all my keys are loaded. If you go through the initial link I posted, you will find that I mentioned that I can login without entering password from terminal.
botg wrote: Two possible solutions:
- Make sure an agent is running with your key loaded
- Select the private key file to authenticate with in the settings dialog of FileZilla.
Again, I am sure agent is running. Let me repeat, the problem occures when FileZilla is started from menu and not when FileZilla is started from terminal.

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2014-07-10 20:09

Again, I am sure agent is running. Let me repeat, the problem occures when FileZilla is started from menu and not when FileZilla is started from terminal.
How is your agent started? It's probably started over a script run with interactive shells. The launcher of most desktop environments do not use those scripts.

webid4me

#7 Post by webid4me » 2014-07-24 01:30

botg wrote:How is your agent started? It's probably started over a script run with interactive shells. The launcher of most desktop environments do not use those scripts.
It is most likely that this has nothing to do with Filezilla. Seems to be a bug with Mint Menu. See following:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=172522
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=10