Moderator: Project members

brunoramos
500 Command not understood
First name: Bruno
Last name: Ramos

#4023 Canceled transfers added in Successfull transfers list

#1 Post by brunoramos » 2014-09-14 20:05

Hello,

I'm taking a look at ticket #4023 Canceled transfers added in Successfull transfers list.

I would like some input regarding possible improvements to the way skipped/canceled are managed.

Do you agree that it makes sense to add the Canceled/Skipped transfers to the failed transfers list?

I have an almost working solution with:
  • Skipped transfers added to failed transfer list with Reason "Transfer skipped by the user"
  • Canceled transfers added to failed transfer list with Reason "Transfer canceled by the user"
Technically the skipped/canceled transfers are being handled with a FZ_REPLY_OK at the moment, and that is what is causing them to be added to the successful list.
I was thinking of adding a new error code FZ_REPLY_SKIPPED (right after FZ_REPLY_CANCELED in commands.h).
And also add the corresponding code to manage both the new error core and at the same time properly manage FZ_REPLY_CANCELED when the user clicks Cancel.

Do you agree with the new error code? FZ_REPLY_SKIPPED or do you have some other suggestion?
And do you think of something else related to this that would be good to change at the same time?

Thank you.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: #4023 Canceled transfers added in Successfull transfers

#2 Post by botg » 2014-09-15 07:31

I disagree. Putting skipped transfers into the failed transfers queue makes it difficult to distinguish intentionally skipped transfers from actual failures.

The successful and skipped transfers are largely irrelevant, could just as well not display them at all as everything worked as intended.

A failed transfer on the other hand is something the user must actively act upon.

brunoramos

#3 Post by brunoramos » 2014-09-15 18:08

botg wrote:I disagree. Putting skipped transfers into the failed transfers queue makes it difficult to distinguish intentionally skipped transfers from actual failures.

The successful and skipped transfers are largely irrelevant, could just as well not display them at all as everything worked as intended.

A failed transfer on the other hand is something the user must actively act upon.
Makes sense to me.

My initial doubts regarding the best way to handle this were at the base of my request for a second opinion.

So, can I prepare the patch to ignore the canceled/skipped transfers and not add them to the success list?

botg
Site Admin

#4 Post by botg » 2014-09-16 07:53

Sure, proceed.

There's already a checkbox in the successful queue tab's context menu to remove successful transfers. The new option would fit there.

brunoramos

#5 Post by brunoramos » 2014-09-16 21:21

Just adding a message to keep track of the quick discussion on IRC.

The idea is to modify the right click menu on the "Successful transfers list" to have the following option:
  • Automatically remove successful transfers
    (This is the existing option that will remove all transfers automatically from the list)
  • Automatically remove canceled/skipped transfers only
    (This new option will remove only the canceled/skipped transfers automatically from the list)
  • Do not remove transfers automatically from the list
    (This new option will be the default and will not not remove transfers automatically from the list)

These options will be mutually exclusive and the default behavior is to be kept as it is currently, meaning nothing removed automatically.

boco
Contributor

#6 Post by boco » 2014-09-18 21:36

Would it be possible (after queue finished) to put a state message into the log?

Code: Select all

Transfer completed, 1337 queue items skipped due to Overwrite rules.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2014-09-19 07:23

Possible yes. Though currently no such information is being tracked.

Also, how to react to things like pausing the queue, or adding/removing items?

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2014-09-20 07:27

Skipped items are sitting between chairs - they are neither successfully transferred items (as nothing has actually transferred), but they aren't failed ones at the same time. Ultimately they'd need their own tab. :?

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2014-09-20 08:23

Skipped items are sitting between chairs [...] Ultimately they'd need their own tab. :?
You could use the same argument for resumed transfers as opposed to complete transfers.

Three queue tabs is enough already. It's two more tabs than most programs already :)

boco
Contributor

#10 Post by boco » 2014-09-20 17:10

I could only imagine one other way, putting skipped items into the Successful tab but with a different color (light gray or the like). Resumed transfers could get a different color as well.

brunoramos

#11 Post by brunoramos » 2014-09-23 19:27

boco wrote:I could only imagine one other way, putting skipped items into the Successful tab but with a different color (light gray or the like). Resumed transfers could get a different color as well.
I thought about something like that also.
A status like you have for failed messages "Reason", where you could add a small description with information regarding the transfer.