Packaging Windows FileZilla ON Windows does not work

Moderator: Project members

kenh
500 Command not understood

Packaging Windows FileZilla ON Windows does not work

#1 Post by kenh » 2014-09-26 04:22

So I've been beating my head against the wall on this one, and I finally figured out the problem but am unclear on the solution.

I am able to compile FileZilla on Windows fine (I am working on GSSAPI support). But when I build a zip file or a package for distribution, it does not work. First it's missing a DLL, and when that missing DLL is included the executable complains about a missing symbol (gxx_personality_v0).

The cause of these problems is that FileZilla doesn't actually get the C++ runtime libraries from the development system; it uses it's own in the "data" directory. So what happens is the packaged runtime libraries don't include the necessary symbols that FileZilla is compiled against.

I had not realized until today that the distribution of FileZillais not actually compiled on Windows, but cross-compiled from Linux. I'm unclear what the proper solution is (other than to simply copy the correct DLLs into my local "data" directory). Does this actually work for anyone else? I followed the build directions on the Wiki pretty much exactly.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Packaging Windows FileZilla ON Windows does not work

#2 Post by botg » 2014-09-26 09:09

Unfortunately there is no automated way to copy the relevant libraries. The only solution for now is to manually copy the files.

kenh
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by kenh » 2014-09-26 13:53

botg wrote:Unfortunately there is no automated way to copy the relevant libraries. The only solution for now is to manually copy the files.
If that's the answer, that is fine. But perhaps that could be documented somewhere? So people like me don't have to spend a week or two trying to figure out why things don't work?

It occurs to me that some autoconf magic could indeed make this a little easier; would such a change be welcome?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2014-09-27 16:36

Yes.