Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

Moderator: Project members

Message
Author
bkej
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 9
Joined: 2014-03-05 14:10

Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#1 Post by bkej » 2014-12-15 10:04

When I edit distant .html files (Right-click, Edit) and do "Save" in my text editor, I have :

Image

Automatic reuploading (without asking) each time the file has been modified would save a lot of times.

Any chance of seing this feature soon in Filezilla? Nearly all other FTP clients have this (WinSCP, etc.)

Note: I'm about to switch to another FTP client because this feature is really important for me, but on the other hand, I would love to stay on Filezilla...

User avatar
audiopro
226 Transfer OK
Posts: 294
Joined: 2013-03-23 12:55
First name: Keith
Location: Morecambe, England
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#2 Post by audiopro » 2014-12-15 11:06

Please don't make Filezilla do anything automatically - it is fine as it is.
Morecambe - Where the sun goes at night

User avatar
boco
Contributor
Posts: 25490
Joined: 2006-05-01 03:28
Location: Germany

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#3 Post by boco » 2014-12-15 13:47

Any chance of seing this feature soon in Filezilla?
Never.
Nearly all other FTP clients have this (WinSCP, etc.)
I hope you won't cry when their automatic update will eventually corrupt data.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

bkej
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 9
Joined: 2014-03-05 14:10

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#4 Post by bkej » 2014-12-15 14:18

Never.
I don't see a good reason for that... sorry.
(Of course, yes, you will say that it is non 100% reliable to detect if file-writing has finished or not.)

BUT :

* Dropbox (used by millions of people) is able to detect reliably when the file has changed, and when it's time to reupload. :)

* Many other services are able to detect file changes...


And even if it's only 99,99% reliable :

* We could add an option in the Preferences, unchecked by default :

Code: Select all

Automatically reupload when changes in locally edited files (Experimental)
* It would help the life of many many many people using Filezilla to edit distant files, and save a lot of ALT+TAB in order to click "Yes".



So I don't see the point of this categorical "No".

User avatar
boco
Contributor
Posts: 25490
Joined: 2006-05-01 03:28
Location: Germany

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#5 Post by boco » 2014-12-15 14:35

I don't see a good reason for that... sorry.
You probably aren't a developer. The FileZilla developer won't implement it, there are multi-page topics about that, already. This is not to annoy, but because of a very strict policy: Either it works 100% reliably or it won't make it.
* Dropbox (used by millions of people) is able to detect reliably when the file has changed, and when it's time to reupload.
But Dropbox certainly isn't FTP. The issue is with FTP/SFTP and the uncertainty of external editors to save reliably.

Please read the existing topics. It is programmatically impossible to detect when an editor has finished saving. That 'experimental' feature would never get out of that stage.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

User avatar
audiopro
226 Transfer OK
Posts: 294
Joined: 2013-03-23 12:55
First name: Keith
Location: Morecambe, England
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#6 Post by audiopro » 2014-12-15 14:46

Most developers do not encounter any issues with remote file editing as they simply do not do it.
They keep local backups for security purposes as anyone who relies on files stored on the internet as their only archive is really playing with fire.
The only people who do not have at least 2 copies of everything securely stored are those individuals who have never had the trauma of explaining to a client why all of their precious data has been lost because some over zealous server admin has formatted their remote server.
Morecambe - Where the sun goes at night

bkej
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 9
Joined: 2014-03-05 14:10

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#7 Post by bkej » 2014-12-15 15:33

I am a developer.
But Dropbox certainly isn't FTP. The issue is with FTP/SFTP and the uncertainty of external editors to save reliably.
Please read the existing topics. It is programmatically impossible to detect when an editor has finished saving.
Those 2 sentences contradict each other :

* 1) In the first sentence, you say the problem comes from FTP connection (i.e. client <----> server connection).

* 2) Then, you speak about a local problem that is only present on the client : to be able of detect when editor has finished saving.

I agree with 2) : the real problem is to detect locally on the client computer if file-writing is finished or not.

Then, once this is detected, the fact we use FTP, SFTP, or any other protocol (Dropbox) doesn't change anything at all.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

User avatar
audiopro
226 Transfer OK
Posts: 294
Joined: 2013-03-23 12:55
First name: Keith
Location: Morecambe, England
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#8 Post by audiopro » 2014-12-15 15:58

"Then, once this is detected" - the problem is, it never can be detected.

The functionality is possible but think about it for a moment, your local machine would have to be wide open for remote servers to interrogate the file system - I can't see that being adopted this side of Christmas, can you?
Morecambe - Where the sun goes at night

User avatar
botg
Site Admin
Posts: 33411
Joined: 2004-02-23 20:49
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#9 Post by botg » 2014-12-16 08:33

There's another issue: A program wanting to save cannot save because some other program has decided to open the file for some transfer, preventing certain operations on the file.

See for example http://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/9737 where automatic file synchronization programs seem to prevent FileZilla from saving its data.

bkej
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 9
Joined: 2014-03-05 14:10

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#10 Post by bkej » 2014-12-16 13:15

audiopro wrote:"Then, once this is detected" - the problem is, it never can be detected.
How do Dropbox developers do?
I use it since years and they can detect when a file is modified / when it's time to reupload.
(I'm speaking about local detection of modifications, so here the fact we use FTP, SFTP, etc. doesn't change anything)
It has always been accurate. Nothing has been lost.
The same for millions of users.
The functionality is possible but think about it for a moment, your local machine would have to be wide open for remote servers to interrogate the file system - I can't see that being adopted this side of Christmas, can you?
Not at all! It's the client software (ie Filezilla) who watches the single file that is currently been locally edited and listens if a change has been detected.
In fact Filezilla already does it :D (why don't you complain about this existant feature?), but prompts : Are you sure to reupload?

Image



My only question is : add a Menu Preference option to keep exactly the same thing , but do not show this dialog box...

This has nothing to deal with be wide open for remote servers........ :D
Or, if you call it so, it is already the case with
Image

Keep the existant way, but propose an option to remove the Dialog box "Are you sure?"

User avatar
boco
Contributor
Posts: 25490
Joined: 2006-05-01 03:28
Location: Germany

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#11 Post by boco » 2014-12-17 04:24

Of course, FileZilla can detect if a file has changed, but it can NOT detect if the Editor is done with changing that file! If FileZilla would upload while the Editor is still saving, the result was corrupt data.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

User avatar
botg
Site Admin
Posts: 33411
Joined: 2004-02-23 20:49
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#12 Post by botg » 2014-12-17 09:09

bkej wrote:
audiopro wrote:"Then, once this is detected" - the problem is, it never can be detected.
How do Dropbox developers do?
Gambling.

bkej
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 9
Joined: 2014-03-05 14:10

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#13 Post by bkej » 2014-12-17 12:12

botg wrote:
bkej wrote:
audiopro wrote:"Then, once this is detected" - the problem is, it never can be detected.
How do Dropbox developers do?
Gambling.
You're not serious, are you?

This could be an option (disabled by default in the Preferences) "Do not prompt before reuploading modified edited files < 1 MB".

File modification detected in a < 1 MB locally edited file => Wait 2 seconds (so 99,9999% of the time, the file saving will be finished since 1,98 seconds) => Automatic reupload.

Of course it would not been done for all files, but only for currently edited files, with the option Right click > Edit

It would help lots of people like me (I'm not alone), lots of other people did the same request in the past. Disabled by default, so no harm is done.

PS: If you don't like the Right click > Edit feature, why do you keep it?

victorezeaku
500 Command not understood
Posts: 2
Joined: 2014-12-19 00:24
First name: Victor
Last name: Ezeaku
Location: Nigeria

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#14 Post by victorezeaku » 2014-12-19 00:30

botg wrote:
bkej wrote:
audiopro wrote:"Then, once this is detected" - the problem is, it never can be detected.
How do Dropbox developers do?
Gambling.
I agree with you

User avatar
legion_1978
504 Command not implemented
Posts: 8
Joined: 2012-01-16 10:17
First name: Roony
Last name: Alvarez
Location: Kartagena
Contact:

Re: Any chance of having this auto-re-upload-when-edited feature soon?

#15 Post by legion_1978 » 2015-03-27 17:48

botg wrote:
bkej wrote:
How do Dropbox developers do?
Gambling.
LOL --

ok then how CrossFTP guys do it?
Ukeireru nara shini wa shinai

Post Reply