looking for library for MFC to do SFTP

Moderator: Project members

Mushu
500 Command not understood
First name: T
Last name: V

looking for library for MFC to do SFTP

#1 Post by Mushu » 2015-08-10 16:50

Hi, sorry if this is not the correct forum area, please let me know where to post this if that is the case. I'm trying to see if part of the code used in Filezilla is available for other freeware applications. Specifically, I use the excellent Xenu Linkcheck program, which has been around for about a decade now. The author (in Germany) has always been nice and accommodating to my requests over the years, and I like to think that the software has become better as a result of my suggestions that he implemented.

Recently our webhost upgraded to Windows Server 2012R2/IIS 8.5 and implemented secure FTP access for our website files. The Xenu software will no longer connect to do an "orphan files" report which we rely upon. The author responded to my request, saying he couldn't find a free MFC library to enable secure FTP (FTP over SSL) similar to the Filezilla "require explicit FTP over TLS" option. So, I started thinking that Filezilla works just fine on our new webhost, and it is free, and Xenu is free, so........ :-)

Any ideas folks? Could it be so simple as to have the author of Xenu download the secure FTP code module from Filezilla and compile it into his program? Or perhaps I could find out which library Filezilla uses and pass that info on. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Xenu software:
Last edited by Mushu on 2015-08-10 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: looking for library for MFC to do SFTP

#2 Post by botg » 2015-08-10 17:05

Please don't ask the same question in multiple places, it wastes time.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: looking for library for MFC to do SFTP

#3 Post by botg » 2015-08-11 17:02

Note that FileZilla and FileZilla Server are distributed under the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License (GPL) and thus code from FileZilla (Server) can only used in other GPL programs.

Not all freeware is GPL, likewise not all GPL software is freeware. Some are both, some are neither. In addition, while GPL software is free (libre) software, yet not all free (libre) software is GPL.

Xenu's software for example is not GPL software and not even free (libre) software and as such cannot make use of code from FileZilla.

Next topic: Note that SFTP and FTP over TLS (FTPS) are different protocols. While SFTP and FTPS share a common name and purpose, under the hood they have absolutely nothing in common.

Unfortunately since that link checker is a blackbox I can't look into, I can't provide any informed suggestions as to the way forward which libraries might be suitable.