disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

Moderator: Project members

esteban
500 Command not understood

disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#1 Post by esteban » 2016-03-18 11:16

Hi,

I wanted to point this feature request, because someone at my company just messed up our website because of an accidentally moved folder, through drag'n'drop.
It's quite a serious issue, and you can feel it from the contributions to this feature ticket here, https://trac.filezilla-project.org/ticket/2191, for a business, having your whole business down because of a wrong mouse click isn't possible.
We will ask to every users at our company to stop using filezilla in the meantime, but if this issue could be fixed it would be really nice.

Thanks for your reading

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#2 Post by botg » 2016-03-18 13:39

You could simply drag the directory back.

esteban

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#3 Post by esteban » 2016-03-18 15:18

Yes of course, but what happened is that the guy who did that didn't even notice that he did a drag'n'drop, and the website have been down for one full night, because he went away from office and nobody was here to fix the issue. And the website is international, so it wasn't the night for most of our customers. If people are so "emotional" about this missing feature on the previously linked ticket, it's probably because something similar happened to them.

Maybe it's not easy to fix i don't know, but otherwise, this should be considered clearly as a major flaw, it's like being able to drag an existing file and erase the previous one without a prompt, or delete files without a prompt (it's less annoying because it's more easy to reverse a drag'n'drop but otherwise it's similar).

Of course we can prevent that from happening again by changing the permissions of the ftp user, and we will, but my post is about the issue on filezilla, not about the way to prevent the error, so i though that maybe i could get the attention of contributors to the filezilla project by posting here.

Cheater
504 Command not implemented
First name: Chris

#4 Post by Cheater » 2016-04-25 13:48

I registered for this forum, just to reply that I (and some other developers) want this setting too.
Because moving a folder by accident could result in catastrophic reactions, for instance:
- rsync processes that could take up very long, because a lot of data (in the moved folder) was moved\
- symbolic links pointing specific folders get kinda 'corrupted'
- a moved folder on live sites, WILL break the live site
- moving folder named 'files' to a folder where already a folder 'files' exists in that folder, will result in, not knowing what was the original content of the folder
- the person who did it, is not always aware of the movement itself... then we kinda 'lost' the folder

any of the results above result in a lot of frustration...

Please create a setting were 'moving a folder' will ask you if you want to move it for real.
Please make this setting enabled by default, so I don't have to change all the computers here to enable the setting (or ask our developers which they will certainly forget to change it).

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2016-04-25 17:29

@botg: Is there really no way to completely block D&D inside FileZilla? I don't need it, I don't want it.

Or, could it be changed so D&D only works if holding a modifier key at the same time?
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin

#6 Post by botg » 2016-04-25 19:56

If using Windows, you can change your system's drag threshold to a really large value to disable drag&drop.

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2016-04-25 23:29

I do not want to disable D&D in Windows, only in FileZilla.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

Cheater

#8 Post by Cheater » 2016-04-26 18:45

I agree with boco.

botg: is there anything that make you decide that this is not a good feature?
I would like to hear why you are (if so) not eager to implement this request.

botg
Site Admin

#9 Post by botg » 2016-04-26 19:46

In other programs drag&drop too does not require confirmation, first and foremost Explorer itself.

Cheater

#10 Post by Cheater » 2016-04-26 21:56

Well.... that's true, but at least with Explorer I can Ctrl+Z to undo the 'move by accident'.

Cheater

#11 Post by Cheater » 2016-04-26 22:10

Did you read my 'catastrophic reactions'?

These are reactions that did happen! Only because of the drag-and-drop by accident.
Accidental drag-and-drop happened to me too, by:

While double clicking to enter a folder, you move the mouse a little between those 2 clicks (while the first click was not released yet)
The movement of a folder or a file took place at that moment.

I'm starting to get a little ironic (it's kinda meant funny and not to be taken seriously):
Did the user that pressed the 'DEL' button (below 'Insert' on some keyboards), also have to prove the fact that he pressed the 'Del' by accident, while he wanted to press the 'End' button to go the end of a file list? And that he asked the makers of Filezilla, to have a confirmation question for the file deletion, before the actual file deletion takes place?
Then some of the first reactions could have been: alter the rights of the ftp user, so file deletion is not allowed, or remove the Del button from the keyboard, so you won't press it by accident? :wink:

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2016-04-27 14:29

botg wrote:In other programs drag&drop too does not require confirmation, first and foremost Explorer itself.
Explorer has Undo. FileZilla doesn't.
I'd like to have a confirmation in Explorer, too. Why do you have to follow a bad example? MS isn't exactly known for their perfectly thought-out GUI, don't you think?

Just realize what company's thinking you're following. Disastrous Win8, Win10, does it ring a bell? :lol:

botg
Site Admin

#13 Post by botg » 2016-04-27 15:49

Fetch the source, in all OnDrop handlers, add this:

Code: Select all

if (wxMessageBox(_("Please confirm that you want me to do what you have just told me do do."), _("You want me to do what?"), MB_YESNO | MB_ICONQUESTION) != wxYES) {
	return false;
}
You also need to implement it in all other programs that act as drop handlers, as only the drop target can ask for confirmation.

esteban

#14 Post by esteban » 2016-04-30 22:12

But there is no need of being sarcastic. People do mistakes. People do drag and drop by mistake.

So on our side we simply restricted the rights of the ftp user, because we can't prevent this from happening again otherwise

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2016-04-30 23:05

Did you even try the suggestion?