disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#31 Post by botg » 2017-01-04 20:35

botg wrote:Adding a prompt is unfortunately not that easy. The prompt would have to come after accepting the drop operation, so the drag source would be told the drag is successful, even though the user later cancels it. Asking prior to accepting the drop has potential issues with mouse capture, where the user's mouse pointer is still captured for the drop until the drop is accepted, thus it cannot be used to answer confirmations.
Keep in mind that it's a cross-platform product, techniques that work in single-platform programs aren't necessarily available for cross-platform programs.

escozul
500 Command not understood
First name: Alexandros
Last name: Androutsos

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#32 Post by escozul » 2017-07-12 14:05

I'd like to spring this topic back to life.

I currently use the Filezilla client with drag and drop disabled on a mac. And anywhere else for that matter.

Mistakes do happen and pinpointing where the "rename" took place to fix your site is frustrating. However I believe that it was implemented too roughly. I mean dragging a file to the local storage should not be disabled. The only need was to disable any drag and drop that initiated a "rename" command on the remote server.
The reasons for that are:
1. it's hard to tell where the mistake took place if you didn't notice it when it happened
2. Sometimes the error is also very tricky when it disables only parts of your websites and it might take you even longer to notice.
3. Rename commands move folders and their contents INSTANTLY. That's why it's so hard to detect. If you accidentaly copy a folder from one place of a server to another or delete it altogether you will definitely notice it because of the long list of files that are copied one by one and the fact that it takes a significant amount of time. Actually having this Drag and Drop feature triggering rename commands at the remote server is like having a fast Delete option that does not erase contents file by file recursively but all in one go.

The move feature to my mind is worse than delete cause there is no confirmation box.

Cheater
504 Command not implemented
First name: Chris

#33 Post by Cheater » 2017-07-12 20:16

Excellent escozul. For that reason I don't use the setting neither. It only should disable drag-and-drop on the server-side, and only for drag-and-dropping into the server-side from the server-side. However, I lost my energy to convince the product owner/builder for a better/proper solution.

csgaraglino
First name: Chris
Last name: Sgaraglino

#34 Post by csgaraglino » 2017-10-12 15:14

We are constantly seeing issues with this especially on Macs with the exceptionally sensitive TrackPads and Magic Mouse and last night a client nuked 2 of their sites before noticing what happened! It took us over 2 hours to get things back to normal!

The problem, as stated, is that:
a) you don't know it's been done until it's too late
b) trying to find exactly where it got dropped can be a nightmare!

Unless this finds a resolution, we will be recommending to all of our 45,000 existing clients that they no longer use FZ as their FP software and we will no longer install it for any new clients.

botg
Site Admin

#35 Post by botg » 2017-10-12 19:10

As stated before you can disable drag&drop through filezilla.xml

clement L
First name: cle
Last name: cor

#36 Post by clement L » 2018-04-20 09:32

Drag and drop is a complete nightmare, unfortunately I'm yet to find a serious alternative to filezilla on Linux.

I can't find filezilla.xml on Linux, how can I disable the drag and drop then?
Is there proper online documentation on how to do it?

Thank you

botg
Site Admin

#37 Post by botg » 2018-04-20 14:59

It's in ~/.config/filezilla

clement L
First name: cle
Last name: cor

#38 Post by clement L » 2018-04-20 16:44

Thanks,
I was able to locate the file, and to add the entry ( from post #27 ), but it had no effect on Filezilla behavior, even after restarting the application

ostro

#39 Post by ostro » 2018-07-15 10:45

botg wrote:
2017-10-12 19:10
As stated before you can disable drag&drop through filezilla.xml
You still fail to understand the issue. It has been mentioned multiple times, it is not about disabling d&d for the entire application (as it is a useful method to move files on your local system and upload/download files/folders) but disabling it for the remote server window/frame/panel.
Why? This has been mentioned multiple times as well. Some systems and periphery are pretty sensitive when it comes to dragging. A simple click on a folder with a slight movement that you don't even recognize already adds a green "+" to the GUI as if you wanted to move the folder (and there's no need to change the system-wide dragging tolerance as it's interestingly no issue in any other application). Slip with your trackpad/mouse and you will totally mess up the file structure of the server without seeing where it has gone exactly. Sometimes it even seems to ignore if the click was undone before moving the mouse. Simply way too sensitive and a huge danger for live servers.

prest

#40 Post by prest » 2018-10-01 14:22

I just registered to post a +1 on this topic, it happened to me several times without even noticing till I realized of what it was, accidental drag & drop.

Other FTP clients fix this really simple, for instance WINSCP allows you to enable a confirmation dialog to these type of operations, which fixes the issue, it's right there, first screen you see when you open settings:

Slone
First name: Guillaume
Last name: Chantraine

#41 Post by Slone » 2020-02-27 17:43

I registered on the forum specifically to report this exact problem.

Drag & drop is way too sensitive and triggers too quickly.

I think it's just a matter of delaying the detection of drag and drop moves; if possible, it would make it ok to click around quickly and we wouldn't have to deal with confirmation boxes. Although, I would agree that on the server side, having at least the option to have to go through confirmations is probably a necessary feature for interaction with a live server.

Anyway I think that's really the biggest problem with Filezilla's interface, and to quote an infamous president, a huuuuuuge one. :wink: I hope it will be addressed quickly.

botg
Site Admin

#42 Post by botg » 2020-02-28 08:12

This can be done in your operating system settings.