disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

Moderator: Project members

Cheater
504 Command not implemented
First name: Chris

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#16 Post by Cheater » 2016-05-01 06:49

botg: thank you for your suggestion. This aids in our request.
However, do we need to apply this custom patch everytime you bring out a new version?

boco
Contributor

Re: disable drag and drop of folder on a distant server, or add a prompt Confirm/cancel

#17 Post by boco » 2016-05-01 07:25

Certainly. That's why it's not applicable for most of us normal users. Plus, modified versions do not receive support here. :(
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

Cheater

#18 Post by Cheater » 2016-05-01 08:01

boco wrote:Certainly. That's why it's not applicable for most of us normal users. Plus, modified versions do not receive support here. :(
That is exactly what i'm trying to clarify, by letting saying botg these words.

Sadly, the time discussing this as clear as plain day-light essential feature is costing more time then the actual developing time... :(
If our developers at my work keep on discussing in a yes-no discussion for a specific feature between himself and the group of users, most of the time developer is wrong, because it's not a product for the developer, but for the user. However the developer often thinks otherwise :(

At my work we have a product owner. He looks after the wishes (user stories) of the stakeholders of the product, keeping in mind where the product is going to be after a long term. The product owner is not a developer, and he is not the end user. His vote is always the verdict of any discussion.
Yes, we work scrum based.

esteban
500 Command not understood

#19 Post by esteban » 2016-05-01 13:23

botg wrote:Did you even try the suggestion?
Sorry i thought your suggestion was only a joke.

As others already explained, we won't update the program ourselves, if the developers of the filezilla project (so you ?) don't want to implement it, it's their decision, we'll live without, maintaining our own version of fillezilla is obviously not a good idea.

Cheater

#20 Post by Cheater » 2016-05-01 20:03

Simranjit wrote:Drag nd drop is a easy feature I think
... removed my original response ...
Last edited by Cheater on 2016-05-01 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#21 Post by botg » 2016-05-01 20:14

Just a human spambot. Wage-slaves from third-world countries that get payed a few cents a day for every thousand forums spammed.

Cheater

#22 Post by Cheater » 2016-05-01 22:59

botg wrote:Just a human spambot. Wage-slaves from third-world countries that get payed a few cents a day for every thousand forums spammed.
I was thinking something like that yeah... Because for a one-posting-account he had some website promotional things set in his profile. A normal person wouldn't do that so easily.

Cheater

#23 Post by Cheater » 2016-05-22 23:04

I saw that version FileZilla 3.18.0 RC1 has a change mentioning a new feature:

Added an option to the configuration file through which initiating drag&drop can be disallowed

That's good to hear. However, I can not find the setting in the configuration file (I guess it is filezilla.xml).
I've done an upgrade, so maybe that's the reason that it is not added to the existing configuration file?

Is there a way we can persuade you to 'build' a prompt for the remote drag-and-drop action, which is always on, but can be switched off by a setting?
The setting would be ideally named: 'Ask confirmation when drag-and-drop action is performed on remote side'. Default checkmarked.

botg
Site Admin

#24 Post by botg » 2016-05-23 07:45

The name of the option is "Drag and Drop disabled", set to 1 to disable drag&drop.

Adding a prompt is unfortunately not that easy. The prompt would have to come after accepting the drop operation, so the drag source would be told the drag is successful, even though the user later cancels it. Asking prior to accepting the drop has potential issues with mouse capture, where the user's mouse pointer is still captured for the drop until the drop is accepted, thus it cannot be used to answer confirmations.

jbrich1024
First name: John
Last name: R

#25 Post by jbrich1024 » 2016-07-29 18:05

I too would like to disable drag and drop in my client as it would make my activities safer. Unfortunately I am unable to locate Filezilla's config file. fzdefaults.xml does not exist on my system. None of the files in %appdata%/Roaming/Filezilla have the stated entry for drag and drop. Could you pls offer instruction on where to locate this config file?

botg
Site Admin

#26 Post by botg » 2016-07-29 18:07

Just edit %APPDATA%/FileZilla/filezilla.xml, if the setting with the desired name doesn't exist, just add it.

jbrich1024
First name: John
Last name: R

#27 Post by jbrich1024 » 2016-08-11 05:33

took me a few tries to get the syntax right so for anyone trying to sort it:

Code: Select all

<Setting name="Drag and Drop disabled">1</Setting>
	</Settings>
</FileZilla3>
Thank you very much for your help.

manosone604
First name: f
Last name: p

#28 Post by manosone604 » 2016-10-25 22:58

The drag and drop needs to be fixed. I took down a site with out knowing it as I was just looking for a directory and It was a process to get it going again. Unfortunately I will have to uninstall FileZilla until this is fixed.

mikefellh
First name: Mike
Last name: Fellhauer

#29 Post by mikefellh » 2017-01-04 17:03

I wanted to bring this topic back to life because this just happened to me for the SECOND TIME that I accidentally moved a file/folder to a directory and I didn't know which one it was moved to, and it wasn't a minor file/folder...it was something that brought down my entire site!!!!

Adding a confirmation for a file/folder move (that could be disabled for those who don't want it) is not an unreasonable request...mistakes like this do happen; for the small amount of requests that have been made here, there's a much larger silent majority who hasn't spoken up (I didn't speak up the first time this has happened to me, but I am NOW!).

Either that, or add an UNDO function so the mistake can be undone (this is especially necessary if you don't know which directory the file/folder was moved to!

Cheater

#30 Post by Cheater » 2017-01-04 20:26

Adding 'undo' is a whole different thing and is often necessary after moving by accident which means 'undo' is handy when the mistake already happened.
I know there is a setting to have 'drag-and-drop' disabled, but my request to have this 'on' by default. My colleagues do not add this setting so they will drag-and-drop by accident, in the future I can guarantee you that. However the creator of FileZilla can't care about this that much, because it may not have happened to him yet.

I would like to see a 'Are you sure to move these files remotely?' popup-question, before the action takes place. This popup can be disabled in the settings and is 'on' by default after upgrading or installing FileZilla. The popup will be shown when you move files remotely, but can also be displayed when moving files locally. That last one is a 'Could-have' on the MoSCoW scale.

Really happened accident:
One day, a folder with VERY many files, was moved remotely by accident (drag-and-drop). The server then r-synced these changes to other servers which couldn't be aborted by ourselves. We had to call our hosting provider to manually kill the r-sync process.

Now, I do ask, how bad must we beg to have this feature in FileZilla?