in quickconnect Can you get FILEZILLA to remember the REMOTE directory you usually up load to as well as the local direc

Moderator: Project members

fartiesarego
500 Command not understood
First name: Mike
Last name: Jessop

in quickconnect Can you get FILEZILLA to remember the REMOTE directory you usually up load to as well as the local direc

#1 Post by fartiesarego » 2016-07-07 04:33

Hiya
in quickconnect Can you get FILEZILLA to remember the REMOTE directory you usually up load to as well as the local directory you upload from

SMART FTP has this function
there are three combinations I use using the same remote server

this would be excellent on FILEZILLA
Regards

Mike Jessop
Last edited by boco on 2016-07-07 06:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed all advertising.

boco
Contributor

Re: in quickconnect Can you get FILEZILLA to remember the REMOTE directory you usually up load to as well as the local d

#2 Post by boco » 2016-07-07 06:25

QuickConnect? No. For sites you use frequently, use the Site Manager (which has the possibility to preset local and remote directories).

Often-used local and remote directories can also be made into Bookmarks. See the Bookmarks menu.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error
First name: Lucas

Re: in quickconnect Can you get FILEZILLA to remember the REMOTE directory you usually up load to as well as the local d

#3 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-07 15:10

WinSCP has this feature.
Also auto upload on save file.
Also vertical directory tree for remote location, instead of Local panel.

But Filezilla is faster, that's why I use both.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2016-07-08 00:44

WinSCP has this feature.
We aren't WinSCP. Don't you see the issues that blindly copying features from other software has brought to some some applications? *cough* Firefox *cough*
Horse has been happily discussed to death. Please stop beating it. Safety of data cannot be guaranteed when using external editors. Despite other FTP client authors, the FileZilla dev is not taking chances.
It has been built around the local panel from the start. Large parts of functionality (e. g. target path for download) are tied into it. Hiding it is therefore not trivial.
But Filezilla is faster, that's why I use both.
And now, do an educated guess: WHY is FileZilla that fast?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-09 17:27

Dear Boco, (yes, I played Chrono Trigger as well)

With all due respect, aiming for a productive discussion I'm going to object some point you made. I'm sorry if I sound like a brat sometimes.
WinSCP has this feature.
We aren't WinSCP. Don't you see the issues that blindly copying features from other software has brought to some some applications? *cough* Firefox *cough*
Good essential features could and should be implemented. If not by default, then a option to enable it.
Horse has been happily discussed to death. Please stop beating it. Safety of data cannot be guaranteed when using external editors. Despite other FTP client authors, the FileZilla dev is not taking chances.
I'm pretty sure 99% of the users uses external editors, such as Notepad++ or Vim. I use WinSCP for years and I never had a corrupted file. For real. Again, if not by default, then a option to enable it would be the best choice IMO.
It has been built around the local panel from the start. Large parts of functionality (e. g. target path for download) are tied into it. Hiding it is therefore not trivial.
I'm pretty sure most people don't use local panel, unless its's synchronized navigation, otherwise, click and drag is much easier. Again, should be a option to enable it.

Conclusion

All in all, I think Filezilla should gather some usage data on how users use it. Do they really navigate using the local panel that much? Or things like that. If these usage datas are complicated, then a Poll?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2016-07-09 18:36

Good essential features could and should be implemented. If not by default, then a option to enable it.
What's essential? Can the software be used without this feature, even if cumbersome? If the answer is yes, it's not essential. And you further constrained the essential with good.
I'm pretty sure most people don't use local panel, unless its's synchronized navigation, otherwise, click and drag is much easier. Again, should be a option to enable it.
I think it's the other way around, people don't use drag&drop across programs much. Personally I find typing in the desired local path and then using the context menu much simpler than having to use drag&drop into some external program.

Even if most people don't use the local panel, there are plenty of situations in which the local pane is essential for basic use, e.g. if using the portable version where the shell extension, which is required for drag&drop from fz into Explorer cannot be used. Let's not forget other operating systems where there are no shell extensions to begin with. Any option to disable the local pane needs to deal with all these special cases.
All in all, I think Filezilla should gather some usage data on how users use it. Do they really navigate using the local panel that much? Or things like that. If these usage datas are complicated, then a Poll?
This kind of statistics gathering would need to be on an opt-in basis. The problem with such statistics is that power users, which tend to value privacy more than other users, don't opt into such data collection. Same thing with polls, power users avoid them like the plague.

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error

#7 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-11 20:30

Most suggestions here are supposed to be optional, so it feels good for everyone.

If we could have the reliability and speed of Filezilla, with the great UI and UX of WinSCP (Explorer Mode), we would have THE killing FTP client software.

botg
Site Admin

#8 Post by botg » 2016-07-11 21:21

Did you have a look at the layout options on the interface page of FileZilla's settings dialog?

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error

#9 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-11 21:31

botg wrote:Did you have a look at the layout options on the interface page of FileZilla's settings dialog?
For Christ's SAKE!!

I've never seen it before!!!

HOHOHOHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7lp9umG2I

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error

#10 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-11 21:34

Listen to 10 hours of he-man is the only honorable thing to do in this situation

botg
Site Admin

#11 Post by botg » 2016-07-11 21:47

You could also watch the 1000 year gif in shame ;)

lukinhasb
500 Syntax error

#12 Post by lukinhasb » 2016-07-11 22:46

botg wrote:You could also watch the 1000 year gif in shame ;)
My final thoughts before disappearing forever into oblivion:

- This option should be more visible
- Local site feels like a cancer, please let me toggle it