Moderator: Project members

NotLim
500 Command not understood
First name: NotLim
Last name: NotLim

FileZilla Client feature request: maximum simultaneous transfers = 1

#1 Post by NotLim » 2018-10-03 03:08

Hello there.

I'm a FileZilla user since always... it's really perfect... but... there's a simple thing that makes me hate it: maximum simultaneus transfers.

I found an old thread: viewtopic.php?t=24023

I believe the default should be 1.

This setting in "2" causes problems, like:

- Fragmentation at server side: let's suppose an user is uploading 2 files of 10 GB each. The server will write the files in small chunks, doing a lot of fragmentation.

- Fragmentation at client side: let's suppose the opposite case. An user is downloading two 20 GB files. (Same problem with the server)

- Download speed: If you download two 40 GB files, for example. Let's suppose you're in a LAN. You have a 1 Gbit connection, and a mechanical mobile hard drive. The disk writes at > 100 MBps but ONLY if it's sequential. If you download > two files at the same time, the speed is awful (try for yourself)

Someone has other ideas?

Hope this can be changed someday.

Thanks.

boco
Contributor

Re: FileZilla Client feature request: maximum simultaneous transfers = 1

#2 Post by boco » 2018-10-03 23:09

- Fragmentation at server side: let's suppose an user is uploading 2 files of 10 GB each. The server will write the files in small chunks, doing a lot of fragmentation.
You can set number of uploads and downloads separately. If fragmentation is an issue for you, set uploads to 1.
- Fragmentation at client side: let's suppose the opposite case. An user is downloading two 20 GB files. (Same problem with the server)
If you download with FileZilla, and you are on spinning rust (mechanical HDD), you can opt to pre-allocate space in the settings.
- Download speed: If you download two 40 GB files, for example. Let's suppose you're in a LAN. You have a 1 Gbit connection, and a mechanical mobile hard drive. The disk writes at > 100 MBps but ONLY if it's sequential. If you download > two files at the same time, the speed is awful (try for yourself)
In that case, set it to 1. But, there's no need to change the defaults.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org