#1 Post by noiscale » 2021-02-05 11:07

Seriously, where is the dark theme ??
For the SOFTWARES .... :oops:
and the forum !!!! :roll:

FionNoir
500 Command not understood
First name: Fion
Last name: Noir

Re: Seriously, where is the dark theme ??

#2 Post by FionNoir » 2021-07-19 13:38

It seems like Filezilla developers think that beautiful UIs are an unnecessary detail. So I do not think that this will happen soon.

gwmbox
500 Syntax error
First name: Greg

#3 Post by gwmbox » 2021-10-11 08:27

Which is such a theme, I think all of my current apps on my Windows 10 desktop all have a dark theme option that is NOT tied to Windows settings. They are built into the app with options to choose the light or dark theme, some of which will give additional options. I'd be happy with just a simple light or dark option.

To the developers, is there a specific reason why this cannot be made within Filezilla? It would appear this has been asked for some 5 + years now.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-10-11 08:41

The colors to use come from the operating system. Blame Microsoft for removing color settings from their settings app.

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by iam_sysop » 2021-10-11 15:52

I have written "dark mode" detection for Windows API via c# -- based on a model found for C. Windows new color scheme is nothing more than grayscale - with the curve "reversed" when changing from light to dark mode, and uses a single "highlight" color for anything of note. As you noted, the rest of the color choice was removed from Windows itself. I used a default "light" palette and default "dark" palette and hard-coded the retrieval from the Win API since Windows doesn't use anything more complicated at this point.

I don't know if any of this helps on the technical side, but I can point direction in origin C code I used for detection if interested. I don't have C/C++ background so I can't contribute directly to FileZilla source but will help anywhere I can be useful.

In the case of FileZilla, I understand that because it uses wxWidgets for many things - dark mode would have to be incorporated in to the resources pulled in for a theme and so on. It's not just "inverting the colorspace" as so many people think - that is for sure. You run into many complications with icons, lists, and so much more.

Sayaka
First name: Sayaka
Last name: Moriya

#6 Post by Sayaka » 2022-07-04 20:32

FionNoir wrote:
2021-07-19 13:38
It seems like Filezilla developers think that beautiful UIs are an unnecessary detail. So I do not think that this will happen soon.
It isn't anything to do with "beautiful UIs" - it's basic functionality to protect your fucking eyes. Devs are just condescending assholes whenever you ask about it though, and dismiss you saying that you're asking for "toy features", and not something that is basic accessibility functionality in basically every other modern software package on the market.

FionNoir
First name: Fion
Last name: Noir

#7 Post by FionNoir » 2022-07-08 09:36

I agree with you 100%.

iam_sysop
226 Transfer OK

#8 Post by iam_sysop » 2022-07-08 16:48

How much development hours have either of you donated for a free program that is 100% functional to achieve said Dark Mode? It has been explained in multiple places on this forum that the issue lies in how Windows controls it's "dark mode" and what libraries are used in FileZilla development.

wxWidgets is the cross-platform GUI library used, and it does not have native dark mode support for Windows. Maybe take it up with the library developers on this one. The only way "dark mode" is natively supported on Windows is through the UWP API - which BREAKS cross-platform compatibility.

The whole "basic functionality to protect your eyes" is a laughable. Computers have been in use for over 6 decades without Dark Mode and nobody was blinded by it or suffered medical complications. Additionally to that - exactly how much time does someone spend FTPing that Dark Mode is the deal breaker? I mean you open the app, select what you're going to transfer, start the queue and minimize until done.

I'm not a project developer - so I don't speak for them - but honestly - this is about the most petty argument I've seen about an application in my 40 years of computer usage... Especially one that is FREE.

AdieB
First name: Adrian
Last name: Boshoff

#9 Post by AdieB » 2022-07-25 07:38

Well said. This is a 100% free application, a bit of gratitude wouldn't be missed.
Adrian Boshoff

GameVegan
First name: Game
Last name: Vegan

#10 Post by GameVegan » 2022-10-03 19:51

Not really the best of attitudes here in this post.

I understand the frustration, I don't really get the Devs attitudes though. Why bother making software for people, and when they pass you feedback you simply ignore it. Also Dark mode is sort of a standard in all software now, especially software for IT professionals who use monitors all day.

If I'm honest, I prefer File Zilla over Cute FTP or similar free alternatives, but like or not I need an FTP client that I can use. The lack of Dark Theme hurts my eyes when I've been online a long time so I'm not in the interface for long. But this is the problem where everyone else has dark mode, the scorching bright white from the FZ interface burns my retinas.

W11 now guys, even Windows is on the ball with the Dark Theme and surely they've made it easier to use OS theme as there are MANY pieces of software that use this feature (expect IRONICALLY Adobe XD - UX/UI design software!!)... Anyway, I would prefer to continue to use FZ, but if there's no way to have a dark theme I might have to look for an alternative I think :(

LAST ATTEMPT:

Can anyone direct me to the place where we can adjust the code myself or recommend changes to the next version? I may have enough time to contribute, but I'm more likely I'll just switch FTP clients if the venture is too much effort.

GameVegan

#11 Post by GameVegan » 2022-10-03 20:10

iam_sysop wrote:
2022-07-08 16:48
The whole "basic functionality to protect your eyes" is a laughable
No it bloody isn't, it's a genuine question from a passionate user, maybe he just doesn't realise what freeware or open source is!?
Computers have been in use for over 6 decades without Dark Mode
To start, GUI haven't been used for 60 years, when they were some of them were black with white text (basic / CMD) but during the 80's dark mode wasn't thought of because neither was USER INTERFACE DESIGN, Dark mode (high contrast mode) has been a thing since Win 95, so actually a feature for 27 years!!
nobody was blinded by it or suffered medical complications
What a crock of poo!! The amount of time spent on a computer wasn't as much of a big deal as people used computers less, managers were naïve and uneducated also Health and Safety didn't exist!! Neither did HR come to think of it!! But due in large banks / firms that used PC's complaints led to the development of orange screen protectors and eye visors which were introduced WHEN staff were complaining of eye strain which caused headaches, migraines and increased stress!
FTPing that Dark Mode is the deal breaker?
In a world crafted by sexy designs from the likes of apple, google and microsoft where Dark Mode has been a standard feature FOR DECADES, yes!! It could be for many users including me, as a deal breaker.
I mean you open the app, select what you're going to transfer, start the queue and minimize until done
Try coding for 5 hours in dark mode, then look at a bright white screen for 10-20 minutes. It seems that your lack of empathy is a selfish reflection of your own use for your PC.
I'm not a project developer...40 years of computer usage...Especially one that is FREE
Exactly, so you have NO IDEA what he or me are talking about, the Dude just asked a question, LOL!? Who's guarding your bridge!? Go chill out boomer!

Final Thoughts:

There are MANY "FREE" alternatives, this software is great, but listening to users could make it better, being a grumpy old codger in the forums will make them leave!!

GameVegan

#12 Post by GameVegan » 2022-10-03 20:14

botg wrote:
2021-10-11 08:41
The colors to use come from the operating system. Blame Microsoft for removing color settings from their settings app.
This isn't true.

Firefox part of the Mozilla Project has Dark theme, just ask your friends over there for some help, or failing that hard code a dark theme? Surely it's not that hard I'd be happy to help if you point to me the lines of code that need adjustment.

I'm not even a C++ coder, but I'm 1000% sure there are a million+ C++ coders online who'd be happy to offer some code that would offer the adjustments needed.

botg
Site Admin

#13 Post by botg » 2022-10-03 22:36

Firefox doesn't use use operating system facilities to render its UI. It's fully custom-drawn and it shows in its horrible user interface that doesn't adhere to the system defaults.

CoryG
First name: Cory
Last name: G

#14 Post by CoryG » 2022-12-14 17:15

botg wrote:
2021-10-11 08:41
As a software engineer of over 2 decades: if the answer to a client is "blame someone else" you need to rewrite all your garbage which relies upon that someone else.

botg
Site Admin

#15 Post by botg » 2022-12-14 17:19

Do you know how much it would cost to rewrite Windows?