New UI. Why?

Moderator: Project members

testedicazzo
500 Command not understood

New UI. Why?

#1 Post by testedicazzo » 2021-11-19 16:05

Hi, I read the FAQ but can't find anything about the new UI

I don't want to sound offensive or something like that but I just reinstalled the server after a couple of years... why is it so ugly, oversimplified and missing features?
I understand that this product is free, Tim is a genius and I thank him for his work BUT the old interface was perfect, and now it seems like you hired an indian to write because it's worse than Windows10.
And we all know that Win10 UI SUCKS.

just a few things I noticed:
  • There's no button to turn server on/off like before (the lightning)
  • The realtime log is much worse and you can't clear it
  • The logs are worse than before
  • You can't choose a folder using a normal folder dialog page, you must copy paste the url... is this the 1980s ?
  • You can't set precise user permissions anymore, wtf
So my question is... somebody worked a lot to deliver this, why?

Are we slowly entering a future where FileZilla Server won't be a free product anymore?
That's fine by me, just give back us the old interface and functions again and I'll buy a license

thank you

boco
Contributor

Re: New UI. Why?

#2 Post by boco » 2021-11-20 04:25

It's a complete rewrite from scratch, still in its infancy. Still not everything in there.

FileZilla Server, as it is, will be Open Source software. AFAIK the GPL license does not allow close-sourcing it.
There might be an extended FileZilla Server Pro with Enterprise features in the future, exactly as it is the case with FileZilla Pro.

The old code line (0.x) is abandoned and unsupported, its last release was from 2017.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

testedicazzo

#3 Post by testedicazzo » 2021-11-22 07:56

a programmer should complete a product before releasing it to production, especially a program with a large number of users like filezilla server is.
if the product is not completed he should do a beta release or something similar.
disappointing

maru
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by maru » 2021-11-22 09:32

For example, is there a problem with continuing to use FileZilla Server 0.960 Beta on Windows 10?
Is there any problem with continuing to use the old version(0.960 Beta,etc) on the new OS (Windows 11)?
I would like to know about the above points.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#5 Post by botg » 2021-11-22 10:10

the old interface was perfect
Far from it. It was however what you were accustomed to, so any change naturally feels strange.

For the design of FileZilla and FileZilla Server it has always been form follows function: First and foremost the software must work, ease-of-use and eye-candy can be added at a later point.
and now it seems like you hired an indian to write because it's worse than Windows10.
In that case the user interface would be shiny and non-working. :P
if the product is not completed he should do a beta release or something similar.
The old server never left beta stage, it needed a complete rewrite.
is there a problem with continuing to use FileZilla Server 0.960 Beta
The old version isn't maintained anymore and uses an outdated insecure version of OpenSSL. You shouldn't use outdated software in a networked environment.

testedicazzo

#6 Post by testedicazzo » 2021-11-22 11:02

Ok Mr. Kosse, thanks. it was just my 2 cents.
Of course I will use the new version, security is more important than UI.
Keep up the good work

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2021-11-22 11:59

Just wondering why Autoban is still in there. It's one of the features @botg always wanted to get rid of. :wink:
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

Dredlock1
First name: bob
Last name: Jones

#8 Post by Dredlock1 » 2022-05-12 10:35

testedicazzo wrote:
2021-11-19 16:05
Hi, I read the FAQ but can't find anything about the new UI

I don't want to sound offensive or something like that but I just reinstalled the server after a couple of years... why is it so ugly, oversimplified and missing features?
I understand that this product is free, Tim is a genius and I thank him for his work BUT the old interface was perfect, and now it seems like you hired an indian to write because it's worse than Windows10.
I tend to agree, I've used .96 (still am) and trying out the new server. The old user interface is a bit more intuitive. Whats that old saying? "If its not broken don't fix it"
Not sure why they dumped the old completely and started over. Feels like two steps backwards to make 1 step forward.

sexegaw571

#9 Post by sexegaw571 » 2022-05-13 22:17

I was surprised to find out that there was a new x64 version after not much happening for the past 8 years.

While I applaud the initiative to start the whole thing from scratch and revamp security, I have to say that the UI and its functionality are absolutely awful when compared to pre v1.0

I've read the classic reasoning that someone is complaining because they're used to the old ways and the new ways are way better, bla, bla, bla... that isn't the case at all, it's not even a matter of opinion, the new UI, especially the configuration and user management, is a stinking pile next to the v0.9.x beta.

I'm still happy that someone picked the project and decided to update its standards, but at the same time it's clear that it's either the same person coding and doing the UI or there's some complex involved to push such an awful implementation, wasn't perfect but now is definitely bad in every way.

In fact, it's so bad that I might just rate the UI as important than the security improvements, so I'll go back to v0.96, what's another 10 years anyway?!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#10 Post by botg » 2022-05-13 22:43

Please elaborate in detail. Quantify objectively.

leelondon
First name: L
Last name: T

#11 Post by leelondon » 2022-08-07 12:20

This is a really effective way to alienate all existing users and deter new people from using FileZilla. If that was the objective, then mission f***** complete..

boco
Contributor

#12 Post by boco » 2022-08-07 16:08

leelondon wrote:
2022-08-07 12:20
This is a really effective way to alienate all existing users and deter new people from using FileZilla. If that was the objective, then mission f***** complete..
Feeling better? Now state what your problem is, please. Unspecified rants do not get us anywhere.

drmca
550 Permission denied
First name: Drm
Last name: Ca

#13 Post by drmca » 2022-08-18 10:33

There was no need to change the UI.
Programs can be re-written from scratch, w/o affecting any of the UI layout or features. FZ server is in no position to turn the existing user base off or to expect to acquire totally new user base, by offering a completely different UI, with a learning curve.
Features that lack take only a few min to implement, unless the architecture under the hood is god-awful like those perverted MVVP patterns or worse:
* Ban/allow IP with a popup menu or hotkey
* Start/stop server with a toolbar button
* Log multi-select

drmca
550 Permission denied
First name: Drm
Last name: Ca

#14 Post by drmca » 2022-08-28 19:58

For the love of God, please allow autoban time to be entered directly, without having us use a toothpick in the keyboard trick!

boco
Contributor

#15 Post by boco » 2022-08-28 21:16

???

You can already enter it manually by just deleting what's in the field and entering desired time in seconds. No need to use the up/down buttons.