Feature Request : compare 2 folders and send the difference

Moderator: Project members

dnaton
500 Command not understood

Feature Request : compare 2 folders and send the difference

#1 Post by dnaton » 2004-12-15 17:01

Is it possible to have this feature in a next release of Filezilla (Client) :

* Capabilty to compare one local folder (and its subfolders) with a remote folder (and its subfolders) in a server ftp, and send only the difference of the comparaison.

It's were great.
Thanks,

Damien

* Server FTP : Filezilla 0.9.4d
* Client FTP : Filezilla 2.2.9

Golyc
226 Transfer OK

#2 Post by Golyc » 2004-12-24 05:54

if not planed to fz3 it shold start re-planning :lol: :roll: :wink:

quark
500 Syntax error
First name: Asbjørn
Last name: Ulsberg

#3 Post by quark » 2004-12-29 18:32

I'd like this as well. And a related topic would be transfer filters where you could set up that only files with a given extension should be transferred to a remote (or local) folder. This, combined with the synchronization idea posted by dnaton would save me a lot of time.

The transfer filters could either be independant of the site or tightly coupled with them. I would prefer loose coupling since I transfer a lot of the same files to web servers where I want to exclude source code files and only upload binaries.

If these filters were easy to create (XML files for example), people could contribute to the project and FileZilla could come with some of these filters built-in.
«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.

CyberSnooP
504 Command not implemented

#4 Post by CyberSnooP » 2004-12-31 10:48

Comparing directory listings is quite hard due to:
- the cross-platform difference in case-sensivity
- possible conversion of end-of-line characters can differ the filesize
- creation / modification date setting might depend on the ftp-servers settings and the difference in timezones.
- no way of creating remote content hashes without downloading the entire content.

Which leaves us about 0 single comparable fields to detect differences :)

It can ofcourse be done best-effort and with enough configuration properties of the comparing it is usable.

quark
500 Syntax error
First name: Asbjørn
Last name: Ulsberg

#5 Post by quark » 2005-01-01 16:03

I understand that it's hard, but other FTP clients have this already, so it must be possible to do somehow. But I don't know the amount of code written into other clients to do this stuff, so if we're talking about 5.000 lines of code to do something like this, I'd say "forget it". :)

But the filter thing must be rather trivial to write, no?
«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.