Tiger dropped too SOON!

Moderator: Project members

jjabba
500 Command not understood

Tiger dropped too SOON!

#1 Post by jjabba » 2008-04-15 21:22

I'm really not a fan of legacy system and the idea that new software should work well with them, just to make that clear.

Filezilla dropping Tiger support as early as it did was a MAJOR mistake though.

Many hardcore mac users (me included,) haven't yet migrated to Leotard as it's not nearly as stable and reliable as Tiger yet.

I'm a developer myself so if there isn't a REALLY good reason for dropping Tiger support I'm considering to join to get it back.

Especially annoying is that your not warned by the "new version" alert in the last Tiger release that the new version is Leopard only!

Any comments/explinations on this would be useful.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Tiger dropped too SOON!

#2 Post by botg » 2008-04-15 21:57

It has been dropped out of a technical necessary, I do not have access to a machine running Tiger anymore.

davemcq
First name: David
Last name: McCorquodale

#3 Post by davemcq » 2008-07-10 12:18

I'm a programmer & web developer. I migrated from PC to Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger about a year ago. My programming is a little rusty but I would love to be using FileZilla instead of CyberDuck for my FTP needs. So, what's involved in making FileZilla work on OS X 10.4 ? Is there any program for 10.4 that could emulate the 10.5 libraries for FileZilla? Or is that basically what I would need to create? If this is possible, please provide some necessary links to get me going in the right direction.

Thank you,
David

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2008-07-10 12:30

It just has to be compiled on a Tiger system.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

botg
Site Admin

#5 Post by botg » 2008-07-10 12:42

It's very simple.

First of all you need a working build environment:
- Install XCode, it will bring along some necessary tools, amongst others the compiler. We won't actually use XCode itself though.
- Get Fink or Darwinports, you need the following packages: autoconf automake libtool gettext libidn gnutls

Now you can build some dependencies and finally FileZilla:
- Download wxWidgets 2.8.8 source and FileZilla source
- Do the standard three-command build on each. You probably want to install into a custom prefix in order to not pollute your system directories (remember to set PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and so on)

The resulting file will only run on your system. For distributable files you also need to manually compile libidn and gnutls (and all its dependencies), all linked statically and also build wxWidgets as static library.

Just takes a few hours if you know exactly what to do.

davemcq
First name: David
Last name: McCorquodale

#6 Post by davemcq » 2008-07-10 13:44

Thank you Site Admin, (is that really your name? :hammer: )

It's very simple. (FOR YOU.) Please bear with me, I've been away from command-line builds for a while. Once I get FileZilla working on my machine, I will move on to a distributable copy.

I have Xcode already. I checked sourceforge and this file is for OS X 10.4: "Fink-0.8.1-Intel-Installer.dmg". Do I need anything else from the Fink project files? Will the packages you listed be included? If not, where?

I am embarrassed to say I do not recall the "standard three-command build". (Compile, Link & Make?) Please Explain. I am sure I will recognize it so you don't have to go into much detail. When I create my custom prefix, where can I find all of the parameters (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.) that need to be set?

So, this will probably take me more than a couple hours but I am happy to help myself & all of the OS X 10.4 users.

Dave

botg
Site Admin

#7 Post by botg » 2008-07-10 13:59

davemcq wrote:I have Xcode already. I checked sourceforge and this file is for OS X 10.4: "Fink-0.8.1-Intel-Installer.dmg". Do I need anything else from the Fink project files? Will the packages you listed be included? If not, where?
Fink can download the missing files itself
I am embarrassed to say I do not recall the "standard three-command build". (Compile, Link & Make?) Please Explain. I am sure I will recognize it so you don't have to go into much detail.
./configure && make && make install

Suggested configure arguments: --prefix=/Users/davemcq/prefix --enable-static --disable-shared
When I create my custom prefix, where can I find all of the parameters (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.) that need to be set?
Run these every time before you compile FileZilla or one of its dependencies:
export PATH="/Users/davemcq/prefix/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/Users/davemcq/prefix/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/Users/davemcq/prefix/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/Users/davemcq/prefix/lib"

You might also need to add the path where fink installed its binaries to the path.