FileZilla 3 development diary

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla 3 development diary

#841 Post by botg » 2008-11-25 00:47

It's soon Thanksgiving (in the US at least) and it's the time of the year in which everyone talks about turkey. Everyone but me. I'll talk about Turkey instead.

In particular, I'd like to talk about the Turkish alphabet. Basically it is just a Latin alphabet with some few extra letters. There is one detail however which makes it unlike most other Latin-derived alphabets (Azerbaijani alphabet is the only other case I know of). In the Turkish alphabet, there are two different types of the letter i: Dotted and dotless, each with their own upper and lowercase versions (I hope your installed fonts can display this):
Dotted: i İ
Dotless: ı I
The English lowercase i is the Turkish dotted lowercase i, and the English uppercase I is the Turkish uppercase dotless i.

What's the problem? The answer is simple: Collation. Assume you have the string "SOMETHING" and want to transform it into "something". In virtually all locales, you just transform "SOMETHING" into lowercase and get "something". Not so with Turkish locale. Remember the two types of i? Transforming "SOMETHING" into lowercase would result in "somethıng" with the dotless lowercase i.

In case of FileZilla, this was the cause of a particular bug where on Turkish systems, some of the toolbar icons where missing. You must know that FileZilla addresses the toolbar icons with identifiers like "ART_SITEMANAGER" with the corresponding filename called "sitemanager.png". So if simply stripping the ART_, transforming the remainder to lowercase and then adding .png made FileZilla search for "sıtemanager.png" which obviously does not exist.
The solution is to use a locale-independent function to transform uppercase letters into their corresponding lowercase letters based on ASCII. We can do this since all the identifiers used by FileZilla are in fact valid ASCII strings.

A similar problem was in the directory listing parser where for some listing formats, the substring "dir" was case-insensitively searched for. Same solution.

There's still an outstanding issue with filename extensions for the automatic ASCII/binary filetype detection. I have thought hard, but couldn't come up with a good solution yet.

After the semantic split between turkey and Turkey, let's talk about a different class of splitters. By that I obviously mean wxSplitterWindow. I've been working on making the location of the message log configurable.

While not a hard task, I quickly became annoyed by the complexity of the class that manages the main window of FileZilla. I've spent quite some time to refactor the code. Essentially, I've moved most splitter related code to a new class. Initial testing was successful, at least no major regressions. But as always, Schroedinger's Cat is in the details.

botg
Site Admin

#842 Post by botg » 2008-12-13 12:44

Time for some progress update.

A while ago I talked about integrating into the GNOME Session Manager through its D-Bus API and the bug I found in it (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=559469). Good news is that it's fixed now, my patch got accepted. As result I could finish my work and committed the new feature to the FZ repository. I had to do a lot of cleanup though on the libdbus bindings though. Getting a proper dispatch loop for libdbus isn't easy. Anyhow, everything appears to be working fine now, all running FileZilla instances close gracefully if the session ends.

In addition I'm working on implementing logging to file. As usual, getting the Windows version of the code right is the hard part. Windows has a really bad filesystem.

boco
Contributor

#843 Post by boco » 2008-12-13 15:42

Logging to file is great news. But there should be some control feature this time, such as 'create a new log every day and delete old logs after <x> days'. Like the server has already.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

GoD
500 Syntax error

#844 Post by GoD » 2008-12-13 16:01

What are the problems you are having with the windows filesystem?

botg
Site Admin

#845 Post by botg » 2008-12-13 16:57

GoD wrote:What are the problems you are having with the windows filesystem?
Open a file with FILE_SHARE_DELETE. Delete the file and then try to open another file with the same name. Fails. Fail reappears in explorer. Any attempt to access it or delete it freezes explorer for 30 seconds or more. Even though the file is marked deleted, its filename is not available for reuse yet until all handles to the file get closed.

Compare that to the vastly superior POSIX semantics seen under e.g. Linux. Delete a file and it's completely gone as far as other programs are concerned that do not still have an open file handle.

botg
Site Admin

#846 Post by botg » 2008-12-26 19:32

Looks like 3.2.0 is on track for a very early 2009 release.

The next version will feature bookmarks! Of course both global and site-specific. Site-specific bookmarks are already working nicely, but I haven't even started on the global bookmarks yet. And so far there's still lots of UI work to do.

The preliminary list of changes for 3.2.0: