network support

Moderator: Project members

cooladn
500 Command not understood

network support

#1 Post by cooladn » 2004-03-08 14:57

Hi!
thinks you! Filezilla is a fabulous client FTP software.
I use it since 1 year now, waiting every evolution with plesure.

I've a question about network support.
As more and more people, i've a local network at home, linux and windows servers.
Actually, it's not possible to upload files based on an other computer.
So i download files from my linux server to my window computer and then upload with filezilla.

In next version, will it be possible to have a local network support ?
I thinks it will need lot of work, but if it will be not possible, could you explain why ?

Thinks for your time

Cooladn,
A little french trying to speak english :shock:

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2004-03-08 16:41

There are two big problems with such a feature:
1. Windows itself has a horrible support for network shares full with security holes.
2. I would not be able to test this feature. The first thing I do after reinstalling Windows is disabling anything related to network shares.

Almost everytime I wanted to use network shares I've managed to freeze my whole system. That's why I now solely use ftp to transfer files.
If I'm sitting in from of machine A and want to transfer files from machine B to machine C, I'll open tight-vnc (remote desktop application) and start FileZilla in it.

I'll try to add network folder support in FileZilla 3, though it may take some time until it is finished.

Patte
450 Internal Error

#3 Post by Patte » 2004-03-08 17:36

[..]I've a local network at home, linux and windows servers. [..]
but you can/must run filezilla with wine on the linux boxes AFAIK.
and then you can do as botg suggested.

tdd
500 Command not understood

#4 Post by tdd » 2004-03-09 01:32

If you mapped a network drive, then it works. I have a similar setup, with linux as a server and have no problems. Just use Samba to allow network shares on your linux server.

derf
550 File not found

#5 Post by derf » 2004-03-22 01:15

Hi,

I have a similar setup, a computer with Windows XP as my main machine, and a computer running Linux that serves as everything else (router, firewall, backup server, and so on). I have some samba shares mounted on my Windows computer for backup purposes and easy access. When I change my local window pane to the drive (Z: ), filezilla says "The parameter is incorrect" and nothing displays in the local pane, the software has to be restarted. If I set the local folder to be the last one used, FileZilla won't start until I remove the line in the config file.

But still, FileZilla is one of the finest software I have found and use constantly (with Mozilla, OpenOffice and others).

Derf