[Feature Resquest] changing file list font

Moderator: Project members

monxilo
500 Command not understood

[Feature Resquest] changing file list font

#1 Post by monxilo » 2005-02-15 07:27

hi botg.

FileZilla is a wonderful fre ftp client tool i have even used. I like it. Thank you!

I met a problem that when accessing asasin sites, the file names are often encoded in double bytes. then the fonts of file list cant display correctly.

Would you mind adding the feature that allowing user to change the font
setting of view windows like FlashFXP. The font and script setting can be modified to that different from system defaut's.
The font for the message log can be changed in the settings dialog. I hope the file list view window's font can be changed too.

BTW, I tried to complie the source in windows but failed because of the linking errors. What library should be used when linking.
Would you please to introduce the process of compiling FZ2 source in windows? like http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/forum/ ... .php?t=445(FileZilla 3 build instructions)
If possilbe, I'd like to add this feature by myself.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#2 Post by botg » 2005-02-15 13:57

The font is not the problem but rather the enconding of the file names.
The ftp protocol is an ASCII based protocol, so to be exact, behaviour for any filenames containing character codes > 127 is not defined and should be avoided.
I plan to add a method to specify the character encoding for remote filenames for FZ3, including a notice that filenames containing non-ascii chars should be avoided at all costs.

monxilo

#3 Post by monxilo » 2005-02-15 14:41

Thank you very much for your rapid response.

Changing the script of the font may solve the problem of file name encoding.
For example, for Japanese OS (windows), in the font choice dialog, we can choose some font and select the script to CHINESE_GB2312. then the font encoded in GB2312 can be shown correctly.

Most of japanese user of ftp met the problem of encoding. Because in Unix, Japanese font is encoded in EUC code, while in Windows, it is encoded to SJIS. when Windows client access Unix server, general ftp tool can't show the font correctly. So most ftp tool written by japanese add the encoding changing feature.

Specifying the character encoding for remote filenames is a good idea, but i think changing the font of file list window is simple and can work well.
Even changing font cant solve the encoding problem, but can show the font at least.

For FZ3, I hope you can add the the encoding changing feature. Not only the file name but also the content of text file. With this feature, the FZ3 will be perfect. you need any help , maybe I can do your some favor.

Btw, would you please to give some advice for compiling FZ2 source in windows? I'd like to try to add the feature of changing font.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2005-02-15 21:00

FZ2 can be compiled with MS Visual Studio 2003. Other versions might work if you can convert or remake the project files.
Prior to compiling FZ2, you will need to compile both zlib and libidn. Last time I checked libidn could not be compiled using MSVC, you'll need Msys/MinGW for this.

monxilo

#5 Post by monxilo » 2005-02-16 09:50

Thank you, botg.
Compiling is ok except the definition of month name in French Polish,and Russian in the file "FtpListResult.cpp". I know it is because of the encoding problem. It is does not matter.