Does/can FileZilla take advanced of TCP Send Buffer Scaling?

Moderator: Project members

RBBOT
500 Command not understood
First name: Ravenous
Last name: Bugblatter Beast

Does/can FileZilla take advanced of TCP Send Buffer Scaling?

#1 Post by RBBOT » 2008-12-10 17:50

The following link is to a white paper that discusses the varying performance of replication between SQL 2005/Windows 2003 and SQL 2008/Windows 2008. What's that got to do with FileZilla? Well, Appendix A talks about enhancements to the TCP stack in Windows 2008 that can speed up transfer of large amounts of data over wide areas. Although not stated in the SQL article, these changes are also present in Vista.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd263442.aspx

The "Receive Buffer Tuning" appears to be automatically applied to all connections, but the "Send Buffer Scaling" needs support from the application. Does FileZilla use this Winsock option? If not, would it benefit from doing so? I suspect it would, especially in scenarios where files are transferred globally.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Does/can FileZilla take advanced of TCP Send Buffer Scaling?

#2 Post by botg » 2008-12-10 18:27

That article is bullshit. They did not provide any means to replicate the test environment, so the results are meaningless.

da chicken
226 Transfer OK

#3 Post by da chicken » 2008-12-10 19:00

It's just a white paper, not a technical review. I'm sure you could contact the authors and request information.

In any case, I should think much of the implementation for this would be in wxWidgets, not FileZilla (although I know the socket class has been rewritten).

Also, it's important to keep in mind that high performance networking like they're talking about here generally would involve saturating a fiber connection such that you could effectively run a clustered database of highly complex indexed data over a WAN link. If you went and got two desktop systems and hooked them to an average switch and tried to handle the kinds of things they're talking about here, the CPU, memory bus, disk controller, physical disk, network devices, and switch processor would each be bottlenecks before we got down to worrying about whether or not TCP/IP is optimized to this level. We're talking about saturating a fiber SAN. I know that I've hooked up two PCs running Linux with the XFS filesystem and I've saturated a gigabit switch pretty easily using FileZilla to transfer data.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2008-12-10 19:51

It's just a white paper, not a technical review.
One of the drawbacks of studying Computer Science, especially if heavy on the theoretical aspects. Solid proofs or hard, reproducible facts, that's what my whole education is based upon. I didn't like the practical courses much, always too vague.
In any case, I should think much of the implementation for this would be in wxWidgets, not FileZilla (although I know the socket class has been rewritten).
I wrote my own socket class because wxWidgets does not support IPv6 yet in its stable 2.8 version, only in the unstable 2.9. And 3.0 is still far away.