Only spammers use info@ emails

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

antonfedonyuk
500 Command not understood
First name: Anton

Only spammers use info@ emails

#1 Post by antonfedonyuk » 2022-03-02 11:33

Today I found out that I am a spammer because I'm have personal site and use email like as info@site! Registration spammer@site? no problems! :lol:

boco
Contributor

Re: Only spammers use info@ emails

#2 Post by boco » 2022-03-02 17:37

Spammers almost always use the info@ email addresse when they capture whole domains, simply because they are predefined and ready to use. Yes, majority of the spam from occupied domains is from the info@ address, thus it's blocked.

If you are not a spammer and have full control over your domain, just create a filezilla@ address and use this. Should be easy.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

antonfedonyuk
First name: Anton

#3 Post by antonfedonyuk » 2022-03-08 10:11

boco wrote:
2022-03-02 17:37
Spammers almost always use the info@ email addresse when they capture whole domains, simply because they are predefined and ready to use. Yes, majority of the spam from occupied domains is from the info@ address, thus it's blocked.

If you are not a spammer and have full control over your domain, just create a filezilla@ address and use this. Should be easy.
your words make no sense - if domain is occupied, then spammer can add any email

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2022-03-08 16:27

Spammer means not always human spammer. Automated processes try to use what's already there, and the info@ address is well known.
Also, it is not black or white, there are many privilege levels. Creating a new address will require a higher privilege than simply using one already existing.

Aside from capturing domains, info@ is also used frequently in spoofing, as it sounds official. Emails are unfortunately very easy to spoof.

Just use an accepted address and be done with it. Discussing the forum admin's decisions will not lead anywhere.
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

toxyy

#5 Post by toxyy » 2022-04-18 15:48

boco wrote:
2022-03-08 16:27
Discussing the forum admin's decisions will not lead anywhere.
I'd like to interject for a moment. You are not adhering to good web administrative practices when it comes to antispam. You have implemented workarounds, such as outright blocking yahoo and gmail, and as a web administrator of specifically multiple large phpbb sites, it is.. er... very worrying to see such a solution implemented by a forum this size. Your spam registrations must be off the charts if you are still using the random number generator as your anti spam. It's 2022, even a cursory script can use number detection that's been out for years.

The recommended way of fighting anti spam is Q&A. (at least initially, anything than what you have now)

If you're not comfortable talking about the administrative decisions taken in that regard in public, I understand that. But it is a mistake to neglect properly setting this up. You do not need the anti-spam extensions. Possibly you do, and they can help, but what the best safeguard against spam is better countermeasures during registration. The phpbb team thinks so, the big names on phpbb think so, I've managed dozens of phpbb installs and I also think so. Anything but the default random number generator. Not even the one with letters, that is also terrible. You can either get the latest recaptcha or go with a Q&A. There is also this extension which is a bit more visually appealing and does the job well, and yes it is compatible with your phpbb version despite it saying 3.2.9 (as you're on latest 3.2, good :wink:, though 3.3 is mature enough that I'd consider switching, 3.3 is compatible with php 8 so you'd get a nice bump there if you choose to upgrade that as well).

I am simply speaking to another phpbb admin as a guy who's been doing this for years. Please do not neglect the tools available to you, straight up blocking gmail is, to put it bluntly, one of the laziest and ultimately least effective things I have ever seen as far as anti-spam goes. It's a non solution. You only have 146k posts, not too bad. But multiple 10m+ post sites I've managed don't have this problem whatsoever, because they're set up properly. As you already know most spam is not confined to gmail and all this does is frustrate the hell out of your users for failing to properly set up registration settings.

johnkachi
First name: john
Last name: kachi

#6 Post by johnkachi » 2022-04-23 13:23

it is not necessarily the case. Any spammer can use any domain email to carry out his or her spam intentions. The easiest way to I identifies a spammer is that they know jack about how to setup up an SMTP server for their bulk mailing intentions. This makes them fail almost all the email deliverability rules and gets all their email almost always filtered into the spam box by radical spam filters.
Last edited by botg on 2022-04-25 06:44, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Nice try spammer. Removed advertisement.

digitalforge
First name: Digital
Last name: Forge

#7 Post by digitalforge » 2022-07-23 22:24

It is stupid that we cannot register using a "info" address. My company uses this, and I had to use my personal email to register.
This is really bad. Just get a proper anti-spam detection or something, but do not force us to not use an "info" address please.
Removed: Linking to any commercial sites is not allowed here!

boco
Contributor

#8 Post by boco » 2022-07-24 08:15

You are acting like a spammer yourself. I had to fix your account, signature and one post, as you violate the rules you agreed upon here. Links to any commercial sites and sites containing trackers (like advertising and tracking from big G) is not allowed here, as is promoting companies (even if it's your own or the one you're working for)!

Fact is, a significant percentage of spam and advertising came from info@ addresses, thus they were blocked by the admin. Live with it.

webtek

#9 Post by webtek » 2022-07-30 18:39

Today I also learned that only spammers use Gmail. First time I ever see a large website banning ALL gmail accounts.
Tells a lot about the developers who prefer making shortcuts instead of finding a real solution. Let's just ban the world's most popular email provider with literally 1.5 BILLION MONTHLY USERS instead of using a real solution like an external API to detect spammers.
Solution suggested? Use your own domain! LOL! Fact is the majority of forum spammers register either using their own domain or a compromised domain, that's how it has always been.

Oh and you guys are knowledgeable about spamming that all emails sent from Filezilla domain are flagged as spam because SPF and DKIM and DMARC fail. Very amateurish. Tells a lot about your professionalism and attention to detail.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (42.24 KiB) Viewed 14245 times
Last edited by botg on 2022-07-30 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced external image with attached image.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#10 Post by botg » 2022-07-30 22:58

Of course the SPF, DKIM and DMARC are failing for you. You are using a faulty Microsoft service that improperly forwards emails. When you are doing the SPF check, you are not checking against the origin IP, but against the IP of the forwarder. Obviously that cannot work. Contact Microsoft for further assistance.