Folder Attributes

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

thunderstruck
500 Command not understood
First name: Ian
Last name: James

Folder Attributes

#1 Post by thunderstruck » 2009-07-04 23:17

Some basic questions I know but would be grateful for some help:

1) what's the difference between the public_html and the www folders? why have them both? Does it matter which one you place files in?

2) I have a folder I want to place free reports in. I want people to be able to access the file only when I email them the link...at the moment if they type in the url they can see the index for that folder and access all my free reports. How do I restrict access to this? Also, is there a way I can send a download link without exposing the actual folder and file names?

3) I have uploaded an exe file to the same directory but when I type the the target url into a web-browser it says it can't be found? I simply want to send people a link to be able to download the exe file in the same folder.

I'd be grateful for any ideas

Regards
TS

boco
Contributor

Re: Folder Attributes

#2 Post by boco » 2009-07-05 06:40

1) It may be physically the same directory on the server, but linked with different names. Try to place a file into one and then look into the other. If it appears there, too, the dirs are linked. Note: If the two directories were there from the start (you didn't create them), don't delete anything. They have special permissions set that you can't recreate.

2) Access restrictions for webserver directories? Google for ".htaccess". If they are supported for you depends on your hoster. As for obfuscation: You could use TinyURL, but this only makes it a little harder to get the actual URL, any internet knowledged person still can do it.

3) First, the URL must be entered exactly as-is. While case doesn't matter in Windows, most webservers are *NIX and here it does. Also, depending on your hoster, executables like *.exe may not be allowed/may not work. My recommendation is to always package it into a .zip (preferrably 7-Zip .7z).
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

#3 Post by Cypress » 2009-07-05 11:03

thunderstruck wrote:2) I have a folder I want to place free reports in. I want people to be able to access the file only when I email them the link...at the moment if they type in the url they can see the index for that folder and access all my free reports. How do I restrict access to this? Also, is there a way I can send a download link without exposing the actual folder and file names?
1. Open notepad.
2. Copy this:

Code: Select all

<html>
<body>
</body>
</html>
3. Paste it into the notepad
4. Save As -> index.html (Might need to select 'All Files' in the type)
5. Upload index.html to the folder with all the reports in it

That will stop the index of files from being shown.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2009-07-05 11:07

There's also some .htaccess directive to disable browsable directories if you've using Apache as webserver. Check its documentation, I don't remember the option right now.

jdratlif
226 Transfer OK
First name: John
Last name: Ratliff

#5 Post by jdratlif » 2009-07-06 04:32

botg wrote:There's also some .htaccess directive to disable browsable directories if you've using Apache as webserver. Check its documentation, I don't remember the option right now.
Options -Indexes
http://jdrrant.blogspot.com/ - CODEpendent Blog