Who the hell set up the registry form!?

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

Who agrees?

I agree!
61%
I don't agree!
17%
Why am I even reading this???
22%

Total votes: 18

jdx_john
500 Command not understood
First name: John
Last name: Dexter

Re: Who the hell set up the registry form!?

#16 Post by jdx_john » 2011-05-03 14:02

Nice as it is of FZ to make an idealogical stand over this, what happened to your users coming first? I don't even remember the registration page offering an alternative, which is the least you could do when many don't have an official email.

Precisely what is so special about FZ that it has this rule when everyone else somehow manges to cope with the alleged tidal wave of spam? Captcha may be broken but other moderated boards seem to have no problem, I don't seem loads of spam posts or moderators up to their eyes deleting posts. It's a brave step to do the opposite toe everyone else, 99 times out of 100 it means you're the one doing it wrong. FZ might be better spending time on their product rather than challenging the frontiers of forum spamming prevention.

boco
Contributor

#17 Post by boco » 2011-05-07 00:02

The banned email providers are banned because they don't verify their users and thus allow mass creation of fake spam accounts. Unless that changes, they stay banned.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

Heartdrive
First name: Rolf
Last name: Vaessen

#18 Post by Heartdrive » 2011-05-07 23:27

Don't know for what we are voting for? The pived or the unpived? Ich weiss es nicht und es ist mir egal. It's O.K. by me to keep the stirrers out. I have 5 email addresses and cannot see why an IT person has no private email account???? :?: Then of course all those who have free email accounts like yahoo, google and hotmail come here because they want everything for free!

orgsitesinfo
First name: Scott
Last name: M

#19 Post by orgsitesinfo » 2011-05-08 10:52

reCAPTCHA has been going through some improvement changes. They have also accepted ideas on how to make it better / harder for the $1.00 Chinese families to sit there a keep cracking codes.

It is certainly a work in progress...

orgsitesinfo
Last name: M

#20 Post by orgsitesinfo » 2011-05-08 10:56

Would it be possible to implement a version of "stopformspam.com" ???

Realizing the more & more we all talk about the ppl out there who are trying their darndest to help us create sites for the good of the web, they just root out the walls and figure out how to get around them.

wendysmith404
421 Kicked by Administrator
First name: Wendy
Last name: Smith

#21 Post by wendysmith404 » 2011-05-21 01:07

Google is # 1 Enabler of Spam in the World!
Yahoo is #2 Enabler of Spam in the World!

But at least its better than being....

The # 1 Douschbag in the World LIKE the Asshole Moderator of this Forum!!!!!

boco
Contributor

#22 Post by boco » 2011-05-21 01:48

Gee, thanks. If you feel like calling names, at least write them correctly. It's ''douchebag''.

Btw. you are not banned for swearing, but for advertising.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

ScottMSanders
550 Permission denied
Last name: Sanders

#23 Post by ScottMSanders » 2011-07-07 17:03

This is inconvenient and unfortunate to say the least, but hopefully my work email does not change again anytime soon.

ogrody
First name: Ewelina
Last name: Ogrody

#24 Post by ogrody » 2011-08-24 13:09

i understand fighting with spam but this war's gone so far that now even normal user can't join forums.
i find fighting spam very important..

and guess there is no perfect way to fight it.. then if not letting gmail or yahoo users helps a lot i can agree. but does it really?

i like using gmail cos it's fast. i'm using different domain in here cos gmail is forbidden and it takes 5 minutes
longer to get an email while requesting password change or something. not very comfy.

anyway, just wanted to camplain a little,

ogrody

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#25 Post by botg » 2011-08-24 21:10

Must be some horribly badly configured server if it takes 5 minutes for the mail to arrive.

ogrody
First name: Ewelina
Last name: Ogrody

#26 Post by ogrody » 2011-09-05 16:21

yeah, i must change my e-mail. i tried different domain and it's as fast as google so i guess it's my bad on choosing it.

fastturtle
First name: fast
Last name: turtle

#27 Post by fastturtle » 2012-01-24 17:47

I also use Gmail as my primary and have been doing so since 2005 - that's over 6 years and 8K+ messages in that time with no complaints about spam originating from my account. In fact, over this period, the only Gmail spam I've seen has used forged headers. The reasons I use Gmail as my primary include great spam filtering, relocating and chaning ISP's several times - it provides me a consistent email so I don't have to teach everyone a new addy

Now if you're talking about spam posts, then I sugest you look into improving the forum rules and maybe slowdown the posting speed as /. does. Build some lag into the system and with a 10+ second requirement. That should slow/kill most flooding and if the system detects it (limit this to more then 5 posts) lock them out for 24 hours with message why. Of course I'm not a programmer or web developer so I don't know how much time it'll take but it offers a workable solution to flooding posts while allowing us to use our preferred email provider such as Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail.

On the preferred email provider, I guess you don't care to have any of the SBC DSL customers as forum members since they use Yahoo as their provider - Contract as the service is known as SBC-Yahoo DSL.

ThePhotographer

#28 Post by ThePhotographer » 2012-01-29 14:37

A, ya. wondering that my self. Love filezilla though. I recommend it to all the <removed> I work with. They use it to connect to <removed> via satellite offices everyday. I don't think i would use any other ftp. So for some of the nuisances its worth it.
Last edited by boco on 2012-01-29 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed. Not allowed.

saf232fsadsa3

#29 Post by saf232fsadsa3 » 2013-04-22 10:32

It's complete and utter nonsense.

audiopro
226 Transfer OK
First name: Keith

#30 Post by audiopro » 2013-04-22 17:55

Many people use gmail and Yahoo for their emails but most of these people simply use them as a convenience.

I would have thought that anyone who has a use for an FTP program would at least have a domain of their own and their email addresses would be attached to that. Up until reading this thread, I did not know that gmail and yahoo email addresses were not accepted.

The FZ forum is mostly spam free - so the stategy appears to be working.
Morecambe - Where the sun goes at night