New to it all

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

dabber
500 Command not understood
First name: robert
Last name: marque

New to it all

#1 Post by dabber » 2013-06-04 16:22

This is a pretty basic problem but I couldn’t find anything about it in the FAQ and with other searches. I figured FileZilla Off-Topic was a good place to try next.

My brother created a 9 GB family history website with photos, movies, etc. He died recently and the site contract is being canceled and I didn’t want to lose all his work. I downloaded part of it to my Windows 7 PC using HHTrack which seemed to work but took forever. Next I used FileZilla and now I have the whole site. It worked great, was way faster, but it still wants to link to the online locations. I am trying to create a DVD so the family can continue to look at his site offline (after I strip out about 5 GB of movies). How can I change the links so the DVD approach will work?

I just need to be pointed to a source that would help me (walk me) through this.

Thanks

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: New to it all

#2 Post by botg » 2013-06-04 18:25

How can I change the links so the DVD approach will work?
This sounds as if the site uses absolute links, using relative links little would have to be changed. If the files are well-structured, simple search&replace with a good text editor should do the trick.

dabber
500 Command not understood
First name: robert
Last name: marque

Re: New to it all

#3 Post by dabber » 2013-06-05 13:46

Thanks. That was enough of a hint to get me going. I downloaded Kompozer and have started changing all the links.