How do I find who hosts my site??

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

customottawa
500 Command not understood
First name: Corey
Last name: Smith

How do I find who hosts my site??

#1 Post by customottawa » 2016-02-03 00:03

Hey guys can someone help me figure this out. I acquired a business and am having trouble figuring out who the host is. The owner would not provide the information for where the site is hosting. It's a t-shirt printing and custom t-shirt company located at

Can someone let me know how it's done?

Thanks!! :D
Last edited by boco on 2016-02-03 05:16, edited 1 time in total.

KarenOKeefe
500 Command not understood
First name: Karen
Last name: O'Keefe

Re: How do I find who hosts my site??

#2 Post by KarenOKeefe » 2016-02-21 02:08

Boy, it really aggravates me when I hear about people who hold websites for ransom like this. I'm a graphics/web designer and the first thing I do is make sure my clients have the domains AND web hosting in their names. I also provide all the logins and passwords just in case they need them. If anything should happen to me, I feel better knowing that they have the tools in their hands to pass their site off to another designer and they never have to worry about this ransom problem again.

Now I've heard about this happening *many* times so you are not alone. You have paid for those files on your site and there are ways to get them transferred to your name.

First, [lookup the whois info of] your domain name. They don't give much information here but see who the company is that your domain name is registered with. You can contact them and find out if your site is hosted with them. You may need to go to [removed advertisement] and fill out the form to get your name or site back. They demand proof of who you are, which you can easily take a photo of with your phone or camera and upload it. I'm not sure what you're going to find out at this point and so I defer to others who may have more helpful advice. Fortunately, when I worked with my clients we were able to wrestle their websites back. However, if you have a contract with them, you'll need to carefully read the contract details to see if you're able to do this. If you want to break the contract, you can but you'll still have to pay what you owe. This doesn't stop you from moving your site to a new host.

NEVER LET ANYONE HOLD YOUR DOMAIN NAME OR WEBSITE RANSOM AGAIN - GET EVERYTHING IN YOUR NAME! There is no reason for *anyone else* to own YOUR property.

If I can help in any other way, please feel free to message me. I'll do whatever I can to help. Others may have even better advice so let's see what they say. Best of luck to you, friend!
Last edited by botg on 2016-02-21 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertisement