Creating hot buttons

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

klapool
500 Command not understood

Creating hot buttons

#1 Post by klapool » 2007-10-13 00:11

I am a complete noob who is an administrator of a web site called crapmods.com. What I would like to do and I have absolutely no idea how to even start, is I would like to creat 4 hot buttons at the top of the site. I am not sure if "Hot Buttons" is the term or not but there are several folks on our site who have been of great help to us and we would like to have a "Button" that has their logo on it and when clicked it would take you to their web site.

I have logged onto PHPBB and posted this question and I was told something about capture a pic and FTPing it somewhere and this and that. I actually have no idea what FTPing anything anywhere is or how to accomplish it.

Any help would be greatly accepted!!!

Thankyou
Administrator of CRAPmods.com. A site dedicated to the modification of motorcycles.

cor
426 Connection timed out

#2 Post by cor » 2007-10-13 18:32

Like it says here..

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &p=3217472

Uplpoad the image to your web server with FileZilla. And so you are here. Normally I'd say "RTFM!", becasue you haven't, but for some reason I'm feeling extra generous today.

If you don't know what ftp is, read the first couple of lines from this page..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp

Please do that. Get into the habit of using Google, and Wikipedia to find information you need. It's a lot quicker than typing up a forum post.

So now you know that FileZilla is an ftp "client", and it will enable you to move files from your computer, to your web server's computer. Good, let's do that..

Startup Filezilla and enter your ftp login details (as provided by your web host), in the spaces provided, and login.

On the left (local folders), navigate to where your image is. On the right (remote folders), navigate to the folder you are going to keep the image(s) in. If there isn't a folder for these images yet, create it, and go inside. Now you are ready to do some ftp..

Drag the image from the left pane, into the right pane. You are done!

That's ftp, you Transfer Files, using this special Protocol (HTTP is another protocol, one you are possibly more familiar with).

The part you will next stick on, is how to edit the phpbb template file and insert the correct image and Link URLs, but that's another story.

;o)
(or
nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool

klapool
500 Command not understood

#3 Post by klapool » 2007-10-14 08:25

Thank you for the help and info.

I will RTFM!!! :lol: :lol:

I actually didnt even know there was a manual. I did a google search but that was way to far over my head!!

Thank you!!!
Administrator of CRAPmods.com. A site dedicated to the modification of motorcycles.