FileZilla on Windows Store

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

mrr_harry
500 Command not understood
First name: Charis
Last name: Ntouroutlis

FileZilla on Windows Store

#1 Post by mrr_harry » 2017-07-11 14:31

Hey there,

Any chance to see FileZilla on Windows Store (Windows 10 app)? Thank you!

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla on Windows Store

#2 Post by botg » 2017-07-11 17:07

What are the benefits? Apart from extra work on my side.

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2017-07-11 22:22

botg wrote:What are the benefits? Apart from extra work on my side.
It would work on Windows 10 S and SN.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2017-07-15 22:26

On Windows 10 S (aka Cloud Edition)?
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

robbiegod
504 Command not implemented
First name: Robert
Last name: Fletcher

#5 Post by robbiegod » 2017-07-31 15:17

I just joined your forum because i had the same question.

You could Centennial to bring FileZilla to the Windows Store. I'd be interested to see how much effort on your side it would take to port FileZilla using Centennial.

The main benefit that I see is if the program is downloaded from the Windows Store it is considered safe. I see in your forum, under news, security has been a problem since you have an advisory listed there talking modified versions being offered for download. The Windows Store would provide you a way to offer another safe means for users to get your app.

Once in the windows store using Centennial, you'll some of the benefits of a UWP app.

- Easy installer.
- Easy uninstaller.
- Once installed on a windows 10 PC for that user, if they switch computers it is contained in there library of apps. I can refer to my apps and just install it again. Makes it easy to find later on. That would make it easier for anyone when they switch PCs to get your app again. Another reason, is when i am at home and download your app, when i go to work, i have to download your app. If it was in my library of apps, it would be easier for me to find and install.
- 500 Million Windows 10 users.

Recently, MS announced they would use Centennial to port MS Paint to the Windows Store. Paint.NET is also bring there app to the Windows Store. iTunes too!

mrr_harry

#6 Post by mrr_harry » 2017-08-05 02:18

robbiegod wrote:I just joined your forum because i had the same question.

You could Centennial to bring FileZilla to the Windows Store. I'd be interested to see how much effort on your side it would take to port FileZilla using Centennial.

The main benefit that I see is if the program is downloaded from the Windows Store it is considered safe. I see in your forum, under news, security has been a problem since you have an advisory listed there talking modified versions being offered for download. The Windows Store would provide you a way to offer another safe means for users to get your app.

Once in the windows store using Centennial, you'll some of the benefits of a UWP app.

- Easy installer.
- Easy uninstaller.
- Once installed on a windows 10 PC for that user, if they switch computers it is contained in there library of apps. I can refer to my apps and just install it again. Makes it easy to find later on. That would make it easier for anyone when they switch PCs to get your app again. Another reason, is when i am at home and download your app, when i go to work, i have to download your app. If it was in my library of apps, it would be easier for me to find and install.
- 500 Million Windows 10 users.

Recently, MS announced they would use Centennial to port MS Paint to the Windows Store. Paint.NET is also bring there app to the Windows Store. iTunes too!

Very Well said mate!!

Kudos to you and hopefully we see something :)

lobbie1978
First name: Rob
Last name: Nijhof

#7 Post by lobbie1978 » 2017-08-20 15:01

From what I've read, it is a piece of cake. No -or very little- adjustments to the code of the existing application is needed to "convert" it to a Windows Store compatible app. So it might be less extra work than you would expect ;)

The benefits of putting your application into the Windows Store through the Centennial Bridge has major advantages for both the developer as the user:
  • Simplified setup authoring (Just one-click to install the app from the Store)
    Differential updates
    No malware injection
    Clean uninstallation (the app has it's own registry in a sandbox. Uninstalling it leaves no traces on the OS whatsoever)
    Trustworthy distribution (The Windows Store is secure and safe)
    Auto-updates for users (The application is automatically updated through the Windows Store, no more user interaction needed. I think LOTS of Filezilla user would LOVE that!)
    Global distribution (every single Windows 10 computer has access to the Windows Store and hence the app)
    Easier monetization (Where applicable)
And if you gradually modernize your application to the UWP platform, there are even more benefits:
  • Modernize the experience (adjust the UI to be more touch friendly)
    Gradually migrate (gradually add UWP features to your app. You don't have to fully update it to UWP at once)
    Move away from monolithic solutions
    Reach all Windows devices (Every single Windows 10 device will be able to run the app)
I think lots of Filezilla users would be thrilled if you decide to put it in the Store.
More info here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... es/desktop

mrr_harry

#8 Post by mrr_harry » 2017-08-20 15:16

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :goodpost: :) :D :D
lobbie1978 wrote:
From what I've read, it is a piece of cake. No -or very little- adjustments to the code of the existing application is needed to "convert" it to a Windows Store compatible app. So it might be less extra work than you would expect ;)

The benefits of putting your application into the Windows Store through the Centennial Bridge has major advantages for both the developer as the user:
  • Simplified setup authoring (Just one-click to install the app from the Store)
    Differential updates
    No malware injection
    Clean uninstallation (the app has it's own registry in a sandbox. Uninstalling it leaves no traces on the OS whatsoever)
    Trustworthy distribution (The Windows Store is secure and safe)
    Auto-updates for users (The application is automatically updated through the Windows Store, no more user interaction needed. I think LOTS of Filezilla user would LOVE that!)
    Global distribution (every single Windows 10 computer has access to the Windows Store and hence the app)
    Easier monetization (Where applicable)
And if you gradually modernize your application to the UWP platform, there are even more benefits:
  • Modernize the experience (adjust the UI to be more touch friendly)
    Gradually migrate (gradually add UWP features to your app. You don't have to fully update it to UWP at once)
    Move away from monolithic solutions
    Reach all Windows devices (Every single Windows 10 device will be able to run the app)
I think lots of Filezilla users would be thrilled if you decide to put it in the Store.
More info here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... es/desktop
Exactly! Couldn't agree more with you

boco
Contributor

#9 Post by boco » 2017-08-22 06:21

It would mean to maintain two different FileZilla applications, as the standard one will be needed for Win32, Linux and Mac OS. And, everyone running Windows 10 is just MS' wet dream - it will NEVER actually happen.

WAAS is a maintenance nightmare, many do not like that (add the forced updates and extended spying on users, as well). A prime example of how not to design an OS.

lobbie1978
First name: Rob
Last name: Nijhof

#10 Post by lobbie1978 » 2017-08-22 15:25

boco wrote:It would mean to maintain two different FileZilla applications, as the standard one will be needed for Win32, Linux and Mac OS. And, everyone running Windows 10 is just MS' wet dream - it will NEVER actually happen.

WAAS is a maintenance nightmare, many do not like that (add the forced updates and extended spying on users, as well). A prime example of how not to design an OS.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but I have to disagree here.
The Windows Store version of the application is hardly any different from the normal Win32 version. It just gets packaged differently, the underlying code is exactly the same. So maintaining two different FileZilla applications is hardly the case.

And why do you think WAAS is a maintenance nightmare?
  • - No more different Windows versions. With Windows 10, there are two release types: feature updates that add new functionality twice per year, and quality updates that provide security and reliability fixes at least once a month. Hence impact for orgnisations is minimized because there are no app and device incompatibility issues anymore (Most Windows 7–compatible desktop applications will be compatible with Windows 10 straight out of the box).
    - The Windows Insider Community is testing updates way before this normally happened with previous Windows versions
    - Deploying Windows 10 is simpler than with previous versions of Windows
    - Device compatibility in Windows 10 is also very strong; new hardware is not needed for Windows 10 as any device capable of running Windows 7 or later can run Windows 10. In fact, the minimum hardware requirements to run Windows 10 are the same as those required for Windows 7. Most hardware drivers that functioned in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7 will continue to function in Windows 10.
I see only benefits.

Sure, not everyone will run Windows 10, but currently, Windows 10 Market Share is around 28% and climbing at the expense of Windows 7 which is at about 50%. It keeps growing and eventually will surpass Windows 7.
With this in mind, you have to understand that the Windows Store is a major distribution advantage for developers because all Windows 10 formfactors will be reached including desktop, tablets, Xbox and Mobile devices.
Already lots of Win32 applications have made their way to the Windows Store including major ones like Kodi, Adobe, iTunes, Spotify etc. With more and more added every week. FileZilla would be a very nice addition to that list.

Vanburen

#11 Post by Vanburen » 2017-10-11 11:53

Paint.net recently launched on the windows store, and I thought you guys might be interested the developers reasons why:
https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/09/29/pa ... ows-store/

Personally I have been a user of paint.net for years, although I haven't previously donated. I was more than happy to buy the windows store version to support the developer, but also because I find the windows store update process far more streamlined.

If Filezilla where to do the same thing, I would be more than happy to so pay the same amount.