Review of Ubuntu 7.10. How Gutsy is the Gibbon really?

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Review of Ubuntu 7.10. How Gutsy is the Gibbon really?

#1 Post by botg » 2007-10-18 21:37

Chapter 1: Booting from the LiveCD

- The boot menu has a strange font, reminds me of some old Lucas Arts adventures.
- The boot splash could need a higher resolution
- The sound that plays during startup skips. Should be fully loaded before an attempt is made to play it (unless it's a bug in the audio subsystem)

Chapter 2: Playing around with the LiveCD

- I like that button in the panel for the network configuration. But what's this "Roaming mode"? It's not DHCP, that has its own option.
- Optimal display resolution detected automatically. Windows always failed at that.
- Nice, some games on the CD. But solitaire sucks, no dancing cards if you win.
- Don't like their choice of audio player on the CD. It's not directory based, requires good tags to be usable. Directories + filenames > tags imho.
- All my files on all my partitions are available, even NTFS write support out-of-the-box

Chapter 3: Installation

- Many languages in lots of different scripts, not necessary to install some extra font packs like on Windows.
- RTL support isn't optimal if choosing Arabic or Hebrew.
- Text wrapping could be better, lots of free space to the right of the language selection dialog
- Timezone selection dialog is hard to use. The icons on the map are very small unlabeled and the selection choicebox has a HUGE, slow scrolling list. Two choiceboxes, one for continent and then one for the country in the selected continent would be better.
- Time is off by two hours. But that's because Windows stores local time in RTC whereas Linux stores the time as UTC in the RTC.
- Partitioning was a bit complex, there should be an option between "Guided - Use entire disk" and "Manual", namely "Select partition".
- Installer can import my profile from my Gentoo installation. I'll skip that though, don't think Ubuntu will like my custom stuff ;)
- After collecting all the options, starting the installation resets the master audio volume. Almost blew off my ears.
- Looks like my DVD burner has problems reading the CD it just burned a couple of minutes ago. I really hope I'll be able to install next Ubuntu from a bootable flash drive in my USB port. Discs are a dying technology anyhow. Bulky, fragile and in the latest versions plagued with DRM.

Chapter 3: Booting the new installation

- It did overwrite my bootloader. Guess it's too hard to see that I have been using the very same bootloader before but just with a different config. Would be simple to just copy the settings, but no....
- I like the notification that there are some more drivers for my hardware available. But why does installing the proprietary ATI drivers require a reboot? On Gentoo it was enough to emerge the package, load the module, update xorg.conf and then restart X. But no reboot.
- But where's the eye candy? I'll do that later

Chapter 4: Installing new software

- Naturally, the first thing I'm missing is FileZilla. Installing that was easy through Applications -> Add/Remove... I had to select All Open Source applications first though.
- The description of FileZilla is inaccurate in Ubuntu with a feature list of FZ2 rather than of FZ3.
- Noticed the first bug: The buttons at the bottom of the site manager have unequal heights. Looks ugly. Some other dialogs have this as well.
- Why did nobody report this before? Surely there have to be some other users of Gutsy + FileZilla?
- Gutsy could use an updated wxWidgets version
- Installed Adblock ;)

Chapter 5: Multimedia

- I want to play some of my MP3 files. Need to install a Codec. Hmm, legal requirements. I think reviewing Ubuntu counts as research. One click and several moments later and the system knows about my files.
- But where's the audio? I can't hear anything. It worked on the LiveCD but not after installing. Turns out that it was using the wrong soundcard (LiveCD did choose the right card though)
- Mixer settings are all wrong and dumbed down. Using alsamixer in a terminal is more comfortable than the mixer applet of gnome.
- Video playback. I do see a movie but with very odd colors. Red and blue channels are swapped. A blue fire burning under a red sky. Looks like a bug in Totem. I wish I could change to a different movie player, but mplayer has no sound output, neither has vlc. And on top, the video stutters in vlc.

Chapter 6: Final verdict

Ubuntu is not yet ready for Joe Average. Nothing works out of the box. At least for me, using Gentoo is a lot easier.