copy of whole hdd with crossover cable

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

nicovon
500 Command not understood

copy of whole hdd with crossover cable

#1 Post by nicovon » 2018-01-26 19:03

Hello. I was able to copy the entire hard disk from one PC to another, using a crossover cable. now I can not find the article that had helped me in that case. can you help me? What are the steps to take?

zomgmike
504 Command not implemented
First name: Mike

Re: copy of whole hdd with crossover cable

#2 Post by zomgmike » 2018-03-06 20:32

What operating system are you using? That's going to be the biggest factor.

In general, though, if you're using Windows, you should be able to create a share folder and then just drag and drop.
Hi, I'm Mike :D

boco
Contributor

#3 Post by boco » 2018-03-06 22:23

Crossover just means that a special patch cable (with crossed wiring) is used for direct PC-PC connection. If you have a switch, you use straight cables. The steps for both cases are the same.

It's better to set up a static IPv4 for both machines as there's probably no DHCP server running in such a setup. Be sure both IPv4 addresses are in the same network segment (e. g. 192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.1.2/24). Then, the network and network shares (and, of course, FTP) should work as they would in a "big" network. It might even run without any IP setup through the APIPA provided 169.254.0.0/16 adresses.
Note that IPv6 does need no setup at all, link local addresses are established automatically through autoconfiguration.

In very old times, you used a serial (COM, "Interlink") or parallel (LPT, "Laplink") cable, which required special software. Anyone remember INTERLNK.EXE/INTERSRV.EXE? :D
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2018-03-06 23:23

boco wrote:Crossover just means that a special patch cable (with crossed wiring) is used for direct PC-PC connection. If you have a switch, you use straight cables. The steps for both cases are the same.
Isn't that just historic? These days, most networking equipment implements Auto MDI-X.
In very old times, you used a serial (COM, "Interlink") or parallel (LPT, "Laplink") cable, which required special software. Anyone remember INTERLNK.EXE/INTERSRV.EXE? :D
I still fondly remember gaming with/against others over null modem cables. Some games even allowed daisy-chaining null modem cables for up to 4 players!

boco
Contributor

#5 Post by boco » 2018-03-07 02:16

Sometimes only 9600 baud was possible. We had patience those days. No need to check a Smartphone or other Mobile.
The good old days of playing over IPX networks using RG58 cables (or even older methods). The good old days of Winpopup and "net send" for messaging. No Facebook, no Twitter. Did I mention FTP did already exist? Good old days, indeed. :mrgreen:
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.

zomgmike
504 Command not implemented
First name: Mike

#6 Post by zomgmike » 2018-03-09 19:22

botg wrote:
boco wrote:Crossover just means that a special patch cable (with crossed wiring) is used for direct PC-PC connection. If you have a switch, you use straight cables. The steps for both cases are the same.
Isn't that just historic? These days, most networking equipment implements Auto MDI-X.
That's my understanding, there's no longer a need to get the special crossover cable or to cut your cable an manually cross the wires. Though you SHOULD DO THIS if you want to feel like an elite hacker.
Hi, I'm Mike :D

boco
Contributor

#7 Post by boco » 2018-03-09 21:33

No, you do this if you don't know what you have to work with. There might be ancient hardware still in service (like my NE2000 NIC I still have in some older machine).

On the other and, inside your own walls and with 100% known hardware, yes, you don't need this with modern equipment. But you won't lose anything, either.