FileZilla is awesome!

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

n3odi
500 Command not understood

FileZilla is awesome!

#1 Post by n3odi » 2004-11-21 22:10

I just moved from FlashFXP which I've been using for a long time. This seems to be a very good program. Keep up the great work :) If I had money to donate to the project (beer, caffeine, monitor, etc..) I would lol.

It's nice how this is open source, not that I ever paid the FlashFXP people either, but at least now I don't have to click "I agree" or wait a second for every day over the 30 day limit.

Also, I kind of didn't see any good ftp clients for linux, do you think you would ever make a linux version of FileZilla? One of my friends runs FileZilla in wine however and says it works good hehe.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks :)

Tropics
504 Command not implemented

#2 Post by Tropics » 2004-11-21 22:24

fz3 is currently under development for windows and linux.

n3odi

#3 Post by n3odi » 2004-11-22 06:51

Awesome! Do you know how soon it will be out for linux?

eyebex
226 Transfer OK

#4 Post by eyebex » 2004-11-22 11:16

When it's ready ;-) But you already can build an alpha version yourself, see http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/forum/ ... .php?t=445

n3odi

#5 Post by n3odi » 2005-02-04 02:52

So when's the linux version out? I'm looking forward to it :D

I'm now using linux and so far all the ftp clients I have tried are below satisfactory. I'd love to see FileZilla in linux.

Also botg, which linux do you use? I use Gentoo and would strongly recommend it http://www.gentoo.org. When it does come out for linux it would be awesome if it was in the portage system. Portage is the system to automatically install software from the net on any gentoo system.

Thanks for all the work you've done so far on it, though I'll have to wine it to use it for now hehe :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#6 Post by botg » 2005-02-04 07:45

I'm using Gentoo as well. The cross-platform version is progressing steadily. Not as fast as I originally intended, but it's making good progress.
Nightly builds are available at http://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php

h2
550 Permission denied

#7 Post by h2 » 2005-02-19 00:20

I have to second the comments here, filezilla is awesome, problem is I've gotten so used to all it's killer features on windows that all the other linux ftp clients just kind of aren't quite there, each is missing at least one key filezilla feature. I just checked out all the major ones I could find, each has annoyances that make me not really want to use it as my main default ftp app, kbear, kasablanca, gftp [which would be ok if it came with sftp installed], too many are missing basic things like auto detect ascii/binary transfers, without which an ftp client is really basically useless.

How stable are the nightly builds? I tried running filezilla windows under wine but it's wasn't very stable, definitely prefer to use native linux apps for everything.

Working on switching from windows to linux, have to get good working versions of my key web work apps. I was really glad to see that you are working on a linux version though, that's great, thanks a lot. Hopefully all the features will be there, same as the windows version.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#8 Post by botg » 2005-02-19 09:50

The Nightlies are quite stable. A lot of features are still missing, but what is already implemented works well.

h2
550 Permission denied

#9 Post by h2 » 2005-02-20 03:19

Yeah, it's looking pretty good, I do web development though, and features like drag and dropping folders into folders etc aren't optional for me, I need to move whole websites etc in one motion. That feature doesn't work with the windows version running on wine either by the way.

I'm really glad you guys decided to do a linux version, a friend talked me into switching from ws_ftp [which I'd been using out of habit more than anything], which kind of sucks but works alright to filezilla last year, which is when you fixed some of the earlier issues, like folder into folder drag and dropping, now it's a really good product, totally solid, I've had no issues with it at all, I have my clients use that whenever possible now, and friends who need to ftp stuff. After that it was a no brainer, it's an awesome product, best of category as far as I'm concerned, the firefox of ftp clients.

Love the secure ftp options, it's all there. I'll keep checking the nightlies, and idea when you'll have the folder into folder drag and drop working? Thanks a lot for your work on this, a good ftp client is really important, and offering secure ftp, auto file type detection, all the features you guys packed in, along with a really pleasant user interface is really cool.

I haven't checked your roadmap, are you planning on having a site synchronization feature. It's not something I've needed, but I've read a lot of power users really like that option. Of course, if you did add it, I'm sure it would be addicting, like all your other features are.

<added>Double checked, with 2-20 nightly, even though the drag and drop folder to folder, or even file to file, isn't working, the right click -> upload works fine as far as I can tell, it's looking good.