Newbie trying to add Google Adwords Tracking Code to Website

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

Whistle
500 Command not understood
First name: Brian
Last name: Jaggard

Newbie trying to add Google Adwords Tracking Code to Website

#1 Post by Whistle » 2008-04-11 21:06

Here's where I am...

Operating system: Windows XP

Need: I would like to install the Google Adwords Conversion Tracking Code to my website

Current Status: Bluegenesis suggested that I use Filezilla. Here is a summary of their advice

Enter IP, user name, password, then connect. Find local file and then I will see public and private files. Go to named pages. Grab files Put on local. Use Wordpad or Notepad to view source code. Add Java. Resave. Reload. Put pages back into folder.

Okay...

I can do everything suggested except I come to a screeching halt when I try to edit the page (insert the tracking code).
I right-click on the named page "about" then chose view/edit. This opens the webpage on Firefox. I think right-click on the Firefox page and select "view page source". It opens up the code in Firefox. Here's where I have the problem. I don't know what to do next. I want to just insert the Conversion Tracking Code at the bottom of the page between </body> and </html> but there is no paste feature.

I've also managed to drag and drop the file into my local folder. I can open it using Notepad but I don't know how to make the changes and reinsert it into the webfiles. Please help!

boco
Contributor

Re: Newbie trying to add Google Adwords Tracking Code to Website

#2 Post by boco » 2008-04-11 21:47

Firefox can only show the code, it's a viewer, not an editor. Right clicking the file(s) in Explorer will give you more choices, Filezilla has only basic functionality (it works only with the program assigned to 'open').
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

jimmyolsen
First name: jimmy
Last name: olsen

#3 Post by jimmyolsen » 2008-05-10 01:01

Yah Whistle, you need to open the file with an editor such as notepad, (not the best,
but will work). You could also open it with MS Word.

After you edit and Save. Check that the file extention was not changed by Notepad.
It usually tacks on .txt while saving.

that should do it.

J.

Whistle
First name: Brian
Last name: Jaggard

#4 Post by Whistle » 2008-05-10 02:10

Thanks for the advice - got it working...ironically by using Internet Explorer to open the webpage instead of Mozilla. I was able to the edit on the notepad from there. Thanks guys!