Almost my first heart attack - or how my monitor failed me

Have the feeling that everybody is staring at you in the other forums? Then look here, in this forum nobody does care what you say ;-)

Moderator: Project members

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#16 Post by botg » 2004-07-19 12:43

Well, everyone can understand the plain jokes in the Simpsons, but
my guess is, that you don't understand the more advanced jokes in Futurama.

BTW: I could watch Futurama, Simpsons, Star Trek, Stargate, Andromeda and a lot more 24/7 without commercials :-)

mf_2
500 Syntax error

#17 Post by mf_2 » 2004-07-19 19:42

I could do that as well. I have a pile of 6 hour dvd-rs lying around here filled with German simpsons episodes from both austrian tv ( w/o commercials ) and German tv ( w/ commercials ).
I watch futurama sometimes as it now runs before the simpsons in the german evening program and from what I've seen there are just stupid jokes. The simpsons jokes are brilliant but often quite hidden. sometimes I discover a joke for the first time when already having watched that episode 5 times before w/o noticing.
the German tv once ( last summer ) kicked out the simpsons and replaced it with futurama.
They< had a poll on their website with four or five possibities:

"How do you like Futurama?"

1) It's great.
2) It's ok.
3) Well, better than nothing.
4) Man, that's bad!
5) *Weep* I want my Simpsons back!!

Now guess how much percent of the voters chose option no.5 ? 90%!!!!
Thats says it all! Then that tv station reaired the simpsons on september or august and then also was sending two episodes ( and futurama was abandonned ) as a sort of reparation. So for some months I was even able to watch four ( !! ) episodes a day w/o the help of a vcr or a dvdplayer :)

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#18 Post by botg » 2004-07-19 21:13

Well, for the average TV watcher (ppl like Homer Simpson), Futurama is way above their mental capabilities.

Just read this site, it explains some things about Futurama: http://www.mathsci.appstate.edu/~sjg/si ... uramamath/

Make sure to read this pdf as well: http://www.mathsci.appstate.edu/~sjg/si ... p12-15.pdf

Does the average Simpson fan know anything about P = NP? Kleins Bottle? Aleph-0? The average Futurama fan does know about that.

About the poll on that tv station website: What do you think how many happy Futurama fans busy wathing their episodes have voted on that and how many upset simpson fans did vote?
The poll result was totally screwed since the voter wasn't representative under all simpsons AND futurama fans. Also, only Futurama was rated in this poll, not the Simpsons. And last but not least, the events prior to the poll skewed the results even further.

I've not studied 'pollmaking', but even I can recognize a bad poll when I see it.