FileZilla Server v.1.0.0: import old setting from manuell installation

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

fz20210917
500 Command not understood

FileZilla Server v.1.0.0: import old setting from manuell installation

#1 Post by fz20210917 » 2021-09-17 06:55

Hello,
i have some questions about server migration.

Baseline:
I have a working manual installation of the old FileZilla Server 0.6 (32bit) in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server".

1. How do I migrate the configuration to the new server 1.0.0.0? (64bit)

2. What exactly does the file "filezilla-server-config-converter.exe".
When I call this the following is displayed:
C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server>filezilla-server-config-converter.exe "c:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server.xml" "Filezilla-server"
WARNING: parsing speed limits for [Group WinConnect_M2/download]: even if this entry has no limits, the parent Group or Server limits still apply. This is different than how the old server worked.
WARNING: parsing speed limits for [Group WinConnect_M2/upload]: even if this entry has no limits, the parent Group or Server limits still apply. This is different than how the old server worked.
WARNING: parsing speed limits for [Group WinConnect/download]: even if this entry has no limits, the parent Group or Server limits still apply. This is different than how the old server worked.
WARNING: parsing speed limits for [Group WinConnect/upload]: even if this entry has no limits, the parent Group or Server limits still apply. This is different than how the old server worked.
There is also no migration of the configuration

3. is there a possibility to save the configuration to another location?

4. Can I install Filezilla Server manually (like the old version)

Thanks for the help

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: FileZilla Server v.1.0.0: import old setting from manuell installation

#2 Post by botg » 2021-09-17 09:08

Installing the new server will automatically detect the old server, convert the config files and uninstall the old server.

The warnings about speed limits are due to a slight change how limits are inherited if you are using groups and groups within groups. Now parent group limits always apply, limits in the user or child group no longer override, only refine the overall group.

You can specify the path with the --config-dir command-line argument, followed by the absolute path.

You can manually install the service and provide its command-line arguments using the sc command from the Windows command line.

fz20210917

#3 Post by fz20210917 » 2021-09-20 07:05

Hallo Tim, thanks for the quick reply.
botg wrote:
2021-09-17 09:08
Installing the new server will automatically detect the old server, convert the config files and uninstall the old server.
Unfortunately, the whole thing does not work if the last installation was done manually.

Is it possibly due to the definition of the "old" service?
How does the new setup recognize the "old" Filezilla server of a manual installation?
Display name: "FileZilla Server FTP server" / ServiceName: "FileZilla Server".

A conversion of the configuration is not performed.
If you call the GUI after the installation, the "old" configuration data is not available.
Is there a possibility to perform a conversion afterwards, for example via the command line?
botg wrote:
2021-09-17 09:08
The warnings about speed limits are due to a slight change how limits are inherited if you are using groups and groups within groups. Now parent group limits always apply, limits in the user or child group no longer override, only refine the overall group.
Nevertheless, it is not quite clear what the tool does exactly. Is it only there to check the old configuration for errors or "should" there be more going on?

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2021-09-20 08:26

You can pass an absolute path as second argument to the converter to specify the directory where to write the converted config to. If you use a relative path, it is relative to your current user's config directory, which is probably not the same user the server service will run under.

fz20210917

#5 Post by fz20210917 » 2021-09-29 10:26

Worked, thank you

cmd: sc create "FileZilla-Server" binpath= "\"C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\filezilla-server.exe\" --config-dir=\"c:\Program Files\FileZilla Server\config\"" displayname= "FileZilla-FTP-Server"

bernarddt
First name: Bernard
Last name: du Toit

#6 Post by bernarddt » 2021-10-07 11:45

Hi All,

I was on a similar problem. I've got another server with the old FileZilla installation and needed to migrate the user accounts over to the new server.
botg wrote:
2021-09-20 08:26
You can pass an absolute path as a second argument to the converter to specify the directory where to write the converted config to. If you use a relative path, it is relative to your current user's config directory, which is probably not the same user the server service will run under.
This is basically what I used. I copied my old FileZilla Server.xml file into my new server FileZilla Server Programs Files folder, then opened a command and executed this:
filezilla-server-config-converter.exe "FileZilla Server.xml" "c:\Temp"

(PS. The console program outputs nothing and executes very fast, so it really looks like it did nothing)

Then I copied the users.xml file (the only one I'm interested in) to the settings folder of the FileZilla-Server service, located here:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server

(This is on Windows Server 2019 using FileZilla Server 1.0.1)

My problem was figuring out where the new FileZilla Server saves its settings XML files. And since they are not named with "FileZilla" in their name, my file search attempt failed. Only after converting the old settings file, did I realise I'm probably searching for the wrong settings XML file.

qu1gon
500 Syntax error

#7 Post by qu1gon » 2021-10-29 14:20

Sorry my english is not very good ^^

I have installed the 0.9.60 Beta, now i installed the 1.1.0 and i dont know how to get my Settings from the old to the new FileZilla Server.
Nothing works from here and automaticly they did nothing. :(

With the old version i simply copied the server xml into the main directory and restarted the service. Do not know how I have to proceed now ... don't you have a step-by-step guide?

thx

rbehnfeldt
First name: Reed
Last name: Behnfeldt

#8 Post by rbehnfeldt » 2021-10-29 19:08

qu1gon wrote:
2021-10-29 14:20
Sorry my english is not very good ^^

I have installed the 0.9.60 Beta, now i installed the 1.1.0 and i dont know how to get my Settings from the old to the new FileZilla Server.
Nothing works from here and automaticly they did nothing. :(

With the old version i simply copied the server xml into the main directory and restarted the service. Do not know how I have to proceed now ... don't you have a step-by-step guide?

thx
Did you backup your config file before upgrading? Did you uninstall 0.9.60 already?

I was able to do a test upgrade on my desktop just fine today from 0.9.53 to 1.1.0 without doing anything but not letting the config get deleted when Filezilla started to uninstall 0.9.60. All settings I set appear to be there and present.

xavierp95

#9 Post by xavierp95 » 2022-05-25 12:27

Hello,

In fact, the migration tool works, but not perfectly...

In a DOS window, type :

cd C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server

then copy here the old configuration file : "FileZilla Server.xml" (which contains all you user accounts) ;

filezilla-server-config-converter.exe "FileZilla Server.xml" toto

--> it creates this folder :

C:\Users\infoparc\AppData\Local\toto

in which you can see "users.xml", which is the result of the conversion ;

you just have to put this file in this folder (be careful, I tried to take all the converted files, it didn't work) :

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server

and restart the new Windows Service, now you can see that your old FileZilla Server user accounts are here !

You can delete this folder :
C:\Users\infoparc\AppData\Local\toto

Ah, during my first tries, the conversion program displayed something like "warning, *.*.*.* is incorrect" --> I changed it by "1.1.1.1"...

I hope it will help someone...

Bye

qu1gon
500 Syntax error

#10 Post by qu1gon » 2022-10-30 12:44

xavierp95 wrote:
2022-05-25 12:27
I hope it will help someone...
Hi, i didn't get it a few months ago and now I'm trying again...I'm still freaking out. :( ^^

Installed 1.5.1 and copied the "FileZilla Server.xml" to "C:\Program Files\FileZilla Server". Then everything according to your instructions and now have the .XML files.
Now wants to use the "groups.xml" and "users.xml" (see screenshots). As you describe in "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\filezilla-server" copied,
service restarted and nothing... no users and no groups have been taken over. I also copied the two files into AppData, into the program directory... nothing works.
Screen002.jpg
Screen002.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
Users.jpg
Users.jpg (110.82 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
Groups.jpg
Groups.jpg (123.63 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
Screen004.jpg
Screen004.jpg (195.06 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
Screen003.jpg
Screen003.jpg (103.79 KiB) Viewed 9981 times

boco
Contributor

#11 Post by boco » 2022-10-30 16:27

The tutorial is outdated, configuration files of the Server have been moved to %ALLUSERSPROFILE% (usually C:\ProgramData).
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

qu1gon
500 Syntax error

#12 Post by qu1gon » 2022-10-30 16:49

boco wrote:
2022-10-30 16:27
The tutorial is outdated, configuration files of the Server have been moved to %ALLUSERSPROFILE% (usually C:\ProgramData).
THX! :D