Questions about setting Firewall of Windows 10 of FileZilla Server (1.1.0).

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

maru
226 Transfer OK

Questions about setting Firewall of Windows 10 of FileZilla Server (1.1.0).

#1 Post by maru » 2021-12-06 06:44

Hello.

I am currently testing the new FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0).
I am a beginner.
Please forgive my lack of study.

I have questions about setting Firewall of Windows 10 of FileZilla Server (1.1.0).

On an unofficial personal site that is different from the FileZilla Server's site, there is statement that advises us to open TCP port in the Firewall's inbound setting on Windows10 PC like the attached file when we use Filezilla Server.

Also, I used another FTP Server software on old Windows before using FileZilla Server, but at that time I used it by setting the Firewall of Windows like an attached file. Moreover, I also had to open the TCP's same port on Norton's firewall similarly as well.
Also, without the above setting, the FTP client could not connect to the FTP Server.

However, in my environment, when I installed FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0) on my Windows10 PC and tested it , I was able to connect from an FTP client without setting Firewall like an attached file.

In case of FileZilla Server (ver 1.1.0), is it unnecessary to set the port open of Firewall like the attached file?

Does FileZilla Server(ver 1.1.0) automatically catch connections from your Private network (LAN) or WAN without opening a TCP port in our Windows or Norton Firewall?

I'm looking forward to advice.
Attachments
picture01.png
picture01.png (21.68 KiB) Viewed 4351 times

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Questions about setting Firewall of Windows 10 of FileZilla Server (1.1.0).

#2 Post by botg » 2021-12-06 14:03

FileZilla Server itself does not change any firewall configuration.

I'm not using Windows firewall. Please consult your Windows manual for instructions how to configure Windows firewall.

maru
226 Transfer OK

#3 Post by maru » 2021-12-07 04:26

Thank you for reply.
Thank you , Mr.Kosse.
I will continue to test a little.
Thank you always for your help.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2021-12-07 06:44

Usually, when contacting the server for the first time, the Windows Firewall will ask about the FTP Server process (program name). If you, at this point, allow the Server process to communicate, all ports will be opened for it. You could later fine-tune this in the Filewall Advanced settings, like you have shown.

Remember, the Windows Firewall is basically designed to be used by computer illiterate people. It will only ask to Allow or Deny. Everything else has to be configured manually.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

maru
226 Transfer OK

#5 Post by maru » 2021-12-07 12:34

Thank you for reply.
Thank you ,Mr.boco.
I understand very well.
I am honored to be able to talk with a genius like Mr.boco.

Excuse me for a long sentence.

I continued to test further.
Currently, in my environment, Norton 360 is installed on the Windows 10 PC where I installed FileZilla Server.
I contacted Norton support today, but Norton support staff told me that older Norton are required to do inbound settings such as TCP port in Traffic Rules of Norton's Firewall settings and moving this settings to the top of the list .
But in recent Norton (eg Norton 360,Etc.) , if we can connect to FTP server from the FTP client of another PC just by installing FTP Server software (eg FileZilla Server) ,it was advised that no additional settings on Norton are necessary . Also it was advised that only if we couldn't connect to FTP server just by installing FTP Server software (eg FileZilla Server) , we should make additional settings such as TCP port in inbound settings of Norton or Windows Firewall.

As a test, I uninstalled Norton 360 , which was installed on my FileZilla Server PC that has no setting Windows Firewall of FTP server, and now I couldn't connect to FileZilla Server from an FTP client on another PC. Then, like the image attached in the first post, I set up the Windows Firewall and tested it again without Norton, but I could connect to FileZilla Server .

Next, I removed the above Windows Firewall settings on the same PC with FileZilla Server installed and reinstalled Norton 360 to the same PC , and I was able to connect to FileZilla Server from an FTP client on another PC without any problems.

From the above test results, if we merely install FileZilla Server on a PC that already has Norton 360 installed, we will be able to connect from an FTP client on another PC without any additional settings.

I think that if you are using a recent version of Norton, you can connect from an FTP client on another PC as long as the the "Access" item of "FileZilla Server" is "Allow" in the Program Control tab of Norton's Firewall on a PC with FileZilla Server installed (like additional attachment file ). Normally, the above setting will usually be added automatically by Norton when you install FileZilla Server , I think.

If you are using a recent version of Norton , please try.
Attachments
picture02.png
picture02.png (147.13 KiB) Viewed 4280 times