Native folder permissions

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

edufissure3
550 Permission denied
First name: Eduardo
Last name: Gutierrez

Native folder permissions

#1 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-27 17:49

Hi, id need to know which user/group filezilla server uses in windows/ubuntu, just to give read/write/execution permissions to folders that would be shared and used by FTp users.

So if i create the ftpuser Oscar ( and is not a system user, only ftp user), and i want to access /srv/ftp/webapp.... He would access not as system user, but ftp user. So permissions in Native path are given to the filezilla server user/group.

Thanks in advance sorry for my bad english

boco
Contributor

Re: Native folder permissions

#2 Post by boco » 2022-01-27 18:53

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54457

You should read the above topic, there are useful tips for running FileZilla Server under a different user (default seems to be root - root), which is clearly advisable, from a security standpoint.

@botg @oibaf: From what I know, some FTP daemons run as user "nobody" under Linux, not root. Would that be possible for the FileZilla Server, too?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

edufissure3
550 Permission denied
First name: Eduardo
Last name: Gutierrez

#3 Post by edufissure3 » 2022-01-29 00:12

boco wrote:
2022-01-27 18:53
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54457

You should read the above topic, there are useful tips for running FileZilla Server under a different user (default seems to be root - root), which is clearly advisable, from a security standpoint.

@botg @oibaf: From what I know, some FTP daemons run as user "nobody" under Linux, not root. Would that be possible for the FileZilla Server, too?
Perhaps like postgres, wildfly or mysql, a group and an user called filezilla-server or similar, would be nice, or like apache instead of www-data some kind of ftp-data.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#4 Post by botg » 2022-01-31 13:22

Yes, the server could be run root-less, though in that case features like impersonation won't work and listening on privileged ports still requires the corresponding capability.