FileZilia server 1.5.1 opens always on Display 1, not on Windows default display.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

DamianRM
500 Command not understood
First name: Damyan
Last name: Minchev

FileZilia server 1.5.1 opens always on Display 1, not on Windows default display.

#1 Post by DamianRM » 2022-10-04 02:47

Hello

I use an FileZulia 1.5,1 server under Windows 10 that has 2 displays (monitors). The server interface always opens on display 1, while my windows default is display 2. So the question is - how can I set the server admin interface to open always on display 2, or to the display that is set as windows default monitor?

The issue is big for me, as typically the remote control I use show only display 2

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: FileZilia server 1.5.1 opens always on Display 1, not on Windows default display.

#2 Post by oibaf » 2022-10-04 08:01

There's currently no way, unless you're willing to modify the source yourself.

You're right it's a quirk that must be addressed. Watch out for the future releases and nightly builds. Will keep you posted.

oibaf
Contributor

Re: FileZilia server 1.5.1 opens always on Display 1, not on Windows default display.

#3 Post by oibaf » 2022-10-04 22:13

The functionality has been implemented and will be available in the next nightly build and releases.

To make the main window open on a specific display the new element "geometry" can be added in its config file.

For instance, to make the main window open on the 2nd display, add this entry in the config file:

Code: Select all

<geometry name="MainFrame">2:</geometry>
To make the main window open on the 1st display, shifted relative to its top-left corner to the right by 100 pixels and to the bottom by 50 pixel, add this entry:

<geometry name="MainFrame">1:+100+50</geometry>
To make the main window open on the 3rd display, with width 1000 pixel and height 800 pixel, add this entry:

<geometry name="MainFrame">3:1000x800</geometry>
To make the window open on whatever is the default primary display, use "0" as a display identifier. Sizes and offsets can be combined: the offsets must come after the sizes. If the sign "-" is used before an offset, then the offset is relative to the opposite border (right for the x and bottom for the y).

If the display id is not specified at all, but the offsets are, then the offsets are relative to the leftmost display, if the sign + is used, or to the rightmost display, if the sign - is used.

The main window position and size is now saved in the config file on exit, therefore you don't need to edit the file manually, you can just start the application, move its window wherever you need, and next time it will be displayed there directly.

As always, the config file options are also accessible from the command line, hence, equivalently to the above, the following parameters can be used:

--geometry@name MainFrame --geometry 2:
--geometry@name MainFrame --geometry 1:+100+50
--geometry@name MainFrame --geometry 3:1000x800

DamianRM

#4 Post by DamianRM » 2022-10-05 03:26

Thank you, it is really painful to set the remote to both displays when I need the interface, then when I finish the work to back again on display 2 only ...

So tomorrow I should install the new version and it should be working?

It is great you do it easier for customers - just drag & drop to that windows and next time it will be used.
A note here - check if this display is available, if it is not open it on whatever display is active. Otherwise, if the user removed the display you will get a lot of questions like "where is my interface" .. :-)

As I see you are responsible, will publish other suggestions in other post.

oibaf
Contributor

#5 Post by oibaf » 2022-10-05 07:21

The functionality will be available starting from the next nightly build. You can find the nightlies here: https://filezilla-project.org/nightly.php?type=server

Before the next release, it's likely that the functionality will be improved and the config file layout and command line options might change, so don't rely on these for now.

DamianRM

#6 Post by DamianRM » 2022-10-11 11:40

I did install the latest night build from 11 October. I did add the command
<geometry name="MainFrame">2:</geometry>
but it didn't work. Again it is open on screen 1, while I monitor screen 2

Where is the config file I should put this command and in which section should it be?
I did try with that file C:\ProgramData\filezilla-server\settings.xml
after acme section.

Thank you for your help, I really need this ...

P.S: This nightly build has an issue, the interface shut down (crashed) on its own after the first time - 5 seconds, and the second crash happened in 60 seconds . Just for feedback.