Issues Connecting to FTP Server (not network problems) after moving to latest version

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

planedrop
500 Command not understood
First name: Ethan
Last name: Word

Issues Connecting to FTP Server (not network problems) after moving to latest version

#1 Post by planedrop » 2022-11-29 18:13

Hi everyone,

So over the weekend we had a cert expire for our Filezilla server, we were using a slightly older version (don't recall the exact number but was latest version about a year ago), I went ahead and updated to the latest version and then created a new self signed cert to get things going (will change this to not self signed later, just need this running for now and it is a LOCAL only FTP server), things seemed to be OK until I realized every client trying to connect suddenly couldn't retrieve their home directories. After a little more digging I realized that during the upgrade, somehow, some of our settings had reverted back to when I first upgraded things a year ago, so the home directories for users were wrong, went ahead and fixed that, but users still can't list their directories.

Just for some points of clarity before giving more detail, this is NOT a firewall issue, at least not on my network side of things (maybe on the Windows Server hosting this but I highly doubt that since nothing has changed there and ports 21, 22, and 990 are all allowed) as I put in an allow any rule just to test with no luck AND a device on the same subnet as this Filezilla host has the same issue described below.

This has been tested from multiple machines on multiple subnets including the same one the host is on, any time a given user tries to connect, the entire process appears to work fine until they need to retrieve their directory listings.

Verbose output on the client side looks as such:
Connecting to XXXX
Connection established, waiting for welcome message
Initializing TLS...
TLS connection established
Logged in
Retrieving directory listing of "/"...
Command: CWD /
Response: 250 CWD command successful
Command: Type I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (XXXX)
Command: MLSD
Response: 150 About to start data transfer.
error: connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: failed to retrieve directory listing

Verbose output from server GUI:
In case it helps, it shows the connection in the bottom pane and says "Downloading" as the status
TLS Handshake successful
Protocol: TLS1.2, Key exchange RSA (etc...)
220-Filezilla Server 1.5.1
220-Please visit ...
220 Testing (welcome message I had for this)
PBSZ 0
200 PBSZ=0
PROT P
200 Protection level set to P
User xxxx
331 Please specify the password
Pass *****
230 Login Successful
PBSZ 0
200 PBSZ=0
PROT P
200 Protection level set to P
257 "/" is current directory
SYST
215 Unix emulated by Filezilla
PWD
257 "/" is current directory
PASV
Trying list (1,0) for data connection
227 Entering Passive Mode
LIST
150 About to start Data Transfer
Then it sits like this for 20-30 seconds and gets a QUIT command and repeats again

At this point I've spent over 8 hours working on fixing this with no luck and it's pretty critical to our workflow so would love any help I can get.

boco
Contributor

Re: Issues Connecting to FTP Server (not network problems) after moving to latest version

#2 Post by boco » 2022-11-30 00:47

Something's not right.

Code: Select all

Command: MLSD
vs.

Code: Select all

LIST

Not the same session, and the logs a severely crippled.
### BEGIN SIGNATURE BLOCK ###
No support requests per PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please do yourself a favor and read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
### END SIGNATURE BLOCK ###

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

Re: Issues Connecting to FTP Server (not network problems) after moving to latest version

#3 Post by botg » 2022-11-30 08:46

Don't forget about the passive mode port range. Details in the Network Configuration guide.