Error: Failed reloading configuration. Reason: 2.

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

AccOeckermann
500 Command not understood

Error: Failed reloading configuration. Reason: 2.

#1 Post by AccOeckermann » 2023-06-08 10:04

Hello,

I build a Windows setup which also includes the FileZilla server. I use the Version 1.5.0, because the newer Versions have the bug that if the server was already installed and it is installed over it again with a silent setup, then you can't start the server anymore (but this is not the problem).

I also made a script to automatically transfer configured users from another Program to the FileZilla Configuration. This works, but every now and then i get the following Error Message when i use the "sc.exe control filezilla-server paramchange" command and the end of my script:

"Failed reloading configuration. Reason: 2."

I'm don't know how to reproduce the Error, but when it apears it stays for the next few minutes or so and then disappears again. I had this issue on multiple Windows 10 Systems.

I hope you can give me some infos on what this Error means and how I can fix it.

Kind regards,
Tobias Oeckermann

oibaf
Contributor
First name: Fabio
Last name: Alemagna

Re: Error: Failed reloading configuration. Reason: 2.

#2 Post by oibaf » 2023-06-08 10:33

First of all, why is silent reinstall an issue if you're consistently using version 1.5.0 (pretty old and with lots of bugs that have been solved since) of FileZilla Server? Wouldn't the need for reinstallation be moot if you're maintaining the same version?

Regarding specifically your issue: error 2 there is very likely referring to the fact that some required elements of one of the XML files being loaded up are not present in said file: is it possible that whatever script or program is (re)generating the config files that you want reloaded misses to create all the necessary elements?

Error handling in that case is not very clear and will be made better in one of the next releases. For now, that's all I can say without knowing anything else.

AccOeckermann
500 Command not understood

Re: Error: Failed reloading configuration. Reason: 2.

#3 Post by AccOeckermann » 2023-06-08 15:35

Thanks for the fast Answer.

That is what i thought aswell with the silent setup, but it is bugged. I already postet something regarding that and they are aware of it, but not yet fixed: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55820
I would really appreciate to use a newer version, but with that bug, i have no other choice...

You hint really helped me to determine the issue. It seems like this occurs when you install the FileZilla Server. It creates an empty "groups.xml", "disallowed_ips.xml" and "allowed_ips".xml which FileZilla does not like if you make the "sc.exe control filezilla-server paramchange" command. The weird thing is, that FileZilla does not seems to have a problem with it when you start the server...

But I will just put some default xml files in my setup, that solves the problem.

Kind regards,

Tobias Oeckermann