530 Login or password incorrect!

Need help with FileZilla Server? Something does not work as expected? In this forum you may find an answer.

Moderator: Project members

merkelck
500 Syntax error

530 Login or password incorrect!

#1 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-08 17:25

I have searched for this error message and pored over the hundreds of hits but just can't seem to find the answer. Filezilla server has run on this machine in the past with no problems. FZ client runs on this mahine with no problems right now.
My server is running WinXpPro/sp3. It has a manually assigned I/P address that has port 21 forwarded through the router. I am running FZ v0.9.32beta. The FZ server icon appears in the systray and reports that the server is "online". I use the username and password to log in at all times. I can access this computer using Remote Desktop with that username/password as well. However, I get the same basic error both from an external computer using FZ client and from the site "ftptest.net"
The results from the test site are below:

Reply: 220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.32 beta
Reply: 220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse@gmx.de)
Reply: 220 Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Command: CLNT https://ftptest.net/ on behalf of XX.123.170.173
Reply: 200 Don't care
Command: USER charles xxxxxx
Reply: 331 Password required for charles XXXXX
Command: PASS
Reply: 530 Login or password incorrect!
Error: Login refused by server

I know there is some single thing that I have missed and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
KentM

boco
Contributor

Re: 530 Login or password incorrect!

#2 Post by boco » 2009-07-09 00:40

that has port 21 forwarded through the router
You must forward/open more ports, see Network Configuration.
Is the log altered or is it really sending no password?
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

merkelck
500 Syntax error

#3 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-09 03:32

Thanks for your interest.

boco wrote:
that has port 21 forwarded through the router
You must forward/open more ports, see Network Configuration.

Opening more ports is the part I do not understand. I don't recall doing that when I set FZ server up before. At that time I was using a linksys WRT54g router. I even set that router up to see if there had been any ports open other than 21 and I can't find anything. I am currently using a router that I do not have figured out yet. It was installed with my Verizon FIOS tv system. It is a Westell 9100. Westell wil provide no support and niether will Verizon. Verizon's answer is that as long as the tv works they will not help with anything else!!! I think my next effort is going to be to reinstall the linksys router that worked before and just let it drive this other box to make the tv work.
Is the log altered or is it really sending no password?
That line of the log is not altered. The same line in the log on my FZ client machine also has the word PASS followed by ***** which represent the characters in the pswd.

boco
Contributor

#4 Post by boco » 2009-07-09 07:13

If you're absolutely certain the credentials you sent are correct, try to reset the password on the user account (simply retype it in the FTP server's user settings). Then try again.
No support requests over PM! You will NOT get any reply!!!
FTP connection problems? Please read Network Configuration.
FileZilla connection test: https://filezilla-project.org/conntest.php
FileZilla Pro support: https://customerforum.fileZilla-project.org

merkelck
500 Syntax error

#5 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-09 12:15

I just seem to chasing my tail here as I am getting no where.
boco wrote:If you're absolutely certain the credentials you sent are correct, try to reset the password on the user account (simply retype it in the FTP server's user settings). Then try again.
I don't know where you are referring to. If I go to edit >settings, I don't see anyplace to enter the password. If I disconnect and then reconnect the server, I can reenter it there along with the I/P of 127.0.0.1 and the default admin port.
For some reason the "ftptest.net" log is now showing the password in plain text.
I have altered that line.

Reply: 220-FileZilla Server version 0.9.32 beta
Reply: 220-written by Tim Kosse (Tim.Kosse@gmx.de)
Reply: 220 Please visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/
Command: CLNT https://ftptest.net/ on behalf of 71.123.170.173
Reply: 200 Don't care
Command: USER anonymous
Reply: 331 Password required for anonymous
Command: PASS xxxxx
Reply: 530 Login or password incorrect!
Error: Login refused by server

Right now my frustration level is running so high that I am going to just put it aside and study this router some more. When I installed this service two years ago with the previously mentioned router, all I did was make sure that port 21 was "forwarded" to the manually set I/P address of the server computer. I do not recall setting another port range. I also remember that setting this server up was an easy task and it worked great with no complications. I can only assume that the router is the problem and I am going to have to get a handle on it's operation.
Thanks for your assistance. I will advise it I get it going.

Cypress
226 Transfer OK
First name: J

#6 Post by Cypress » 2009-07-09 12:38

merkelck wrote:I just seem to chasing my tail here as I am getting no where.
boco wrote:If you're absolutely certain the credentials you sent are correct, try to reset the password on the user account (simply retype it in the FTP server's user settings). Then try again.
I don't know where you are referring to. If I go to edit >settings, I don't see anyplace to enter the password. If I disconnect and then reconnect the server, I can reenter it there along with the I/P of 127.0.0.1 and the default admin port.
On the FileZilla server interface:
1. Click Edit
2. Click Users

After that you should be able to figure it out

merkelck
500 Syntax error

#7 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-09 15:45

Ok, I went there and added an account with the same name as the only account on the computer. I entered the password that I use to login to this computer. It then wanted me to specify a home directory. I specified that to be
C:\Inetpub\ftproot.
I still get the same error message when using "ftptest.net".
I then disabled the entire network and reinstalled the former router (WRT54g). The settings on that router were as I had left them when I changed to this newer router.
But the results are still the same. Is it possible that some "erroneous" settings are being retained in the registry that do not get cleared when I do an uninstall?

I am at a loss as to the next step. It still amazes me that it worked for some time and then quit. I had hoped that starting over with the latest release would give me a clean start. As I said before, I recall that FZ server installed and was working with little or no issues. FZ client is still working fine on this computer.

Thanks for your interest.

botg
Site Admin
First name: Tim
Last name: Kosse

#8 Post by botg » 2009-07-09 16:33

But the results are still the same. Is it possible that some "erroneous" settings are being retained in the registry that do not get cleared when I do an uninstall?
FZS doesn't use the registry.

merkelck
500 Syntax error

#9 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-09 16:54

Ok. That removes one obstacle. I just need to back away from it for awhile and then try it again. I just can't forget that the first time I tried it, it worked perfectly. I will give it another look in a few days and perhaps it will fall into place...
Thanks again for helping....

merkelck
500 Syntax error

#10 Post by merkelck » 2009-07-09 19:42

Success. I googled "how to set up filezilla server". I took the first hit and followed the step by step procedure. The web site
was "http://www.raymond.cc". I don't know where I was making the error but it all works now. I only had to make sure that the router had port 21 forwarded. No other ports were required.
Thanks for your help. I knew this program would work and I was really reluctant to give up on it. I left something for you via PayPal
Kent